• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking Elk

Elk is hands down my favorite meat that I've had.  I'll take an elk steak over a beef steak any day of the week. Its also a healthier red meat option. 

There are farms around that raise them for meat.  I get mine from a place south of the Twin Cities, the name escapes me at the moment.  They are basically a family farm and you either just call or knock on their door and hope they are home. 

2 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Elk is hands down my favorite meat that I've had.  I'll take an elk steak over a beef steak any day of the week. Its also a healthier red meat option.

There are farms around that raise them for meat.  I get mine from a place south of the Twin Cities, the name escapes me at the moment.  They are basically a family farm and you either just call or knock on their door and hope they are home.

I'll take Elk, Moose and Bison over beef any day. It's all lean meat with not much fat so sear a few minutes per side on a hot grill.  Great! :)

9 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

I came into possession from a family friend an elk tenderloin but  have no clue how to prepare it. Is it at risk of drying out like venison? When do you cook it medium rare?

You could coat it with your favorite cooking oil and sprinkle your favorite rub then let set for an hour. Then fire up a weber charcoal or a smoker and cook indirect at 275 - 300 degrees until an internal temp of 120 - 125 degrees then pull it. Use a small chunk of wood, it's easy to oversmoke red meat. Use a digital thermometer if you can, dials are unreliable and that is a great piece of meat!

Sous vide is a great way to cook something like elk since it is difficult to make a mistake and overcook it.   Vacuum seal, give a few hours in the water at your preferred temperature.   Take out of bag, dry off, sear.  cooked perfectly.   If it is a little tough (and you know that before hand) just leave it in the water for longer.   Time makes tender,   temperature makes doneness.   

53 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Sous vide is a great way to cook something like elk since it is difficult to make a mistake and overcook it.   Vacuum seal, give a few hours in the water at your preferred temperature.   Take out of bag, dry off, sear.  cooked perfectly.   If it is a little tough (and you know that before hand) just leave it in the water for longer.   Time makes tender,   temperature makes doneness.   

frabz-He-did-it-again-04d85d.jpg