• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1995 40hp shift linkage question

pikeandchester

Question

Trying to remove gear housing to replace water pump. Anyone know how to separate the shift linkage on 1995 mercury outboard 4 cylinder 2 stroke 0G224397? I have watched many videos online and they all seem to use a jam nut and rod coupling which I don’t believe mine has. Looked at the exploded diagram on mercury’s page but that didn’t show me enough;  or more likely just not smart enough. Could it be a spline shaft into the bushing? Thanks in advance for any help!

E77F3880-78E0-4C5C-A27E-E43D2E2CC4DC.jpeg

52F9CD2F-4089-4605-ADFB-BC64C748F9B5.jpeg

6 answers to this question

I think my 75hp Merc was easier then the old green Johnson 5hp my dad had. ;)

But I never had to use a splitting maul to get it apart! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

I've got a pdf of a 90-2002 merc service manual if you need anything else.  I was going to send the info but looks like you got it under control.   If you want the chapter for your motor, just say which one it is and give me your email address (not sure if I can send it on hso pm)

Thanks for the offer but hold off for now. Got it apart and ordered parts. Looks fairly simple, of coarse it's not back together yet. On a side note, impeller looked worn, one fin wasn't touching the side of the enclosure. motor wasn't giving me any trouble, just preventative maintenance.