• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ceramic Cookware

Anyone using ceramic cookware?

We got rid of our Teflon stuff years ago and have been using stainless steel for quite a while. We still seem to have a hard time with certain things sticking in the SS if you are not super careful. My wife picked up the ceramic pan pictured below a couple months ago and we have been using it a lot. 

Anyone using ceramic? Anyone ever heard of this brand? It seams cheap to me, looks like I can buy an entire set of it for about $80.00. Any downfalls to ceramic cookware?

cookware ceramic 1.jpg

cookware ceramic 2.jpg

At that price I would wonder about the quality of the metal construction and how evenly heat will be distributed.  

Not sure why you are avoiding "teflon" pans, but a well seasoned cast iron or carbon steel pan comes pretty close to being non-stick.   Gotta be careful with how you clean them and minimize cooking stuff like tomato sauce in them, but otherwise they work great.  

Getting the seasoning on them can be a little bit of a pain, but not that bad. 

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

At that price I would wonder about the quality of the metal construction and how evenly heat will be distributed.  

I thought that too but the one that we have had for a couple of months now seems to work just as good as our more expensive SS pans and so far is holding up great and looks as good as new despite daily use.

Not sure why you are avoiding "teflon" pans,

I'm sure you are attempting to bait me into a debate here but I'm dumb enough so I'll be your huckleberry.....

I understand that for the most part Teflon pans and the PFOA's they contain are generally safe to use but you need to take some precautions like not over heating the pan,  ventilating the cooking area well, taking care not to chip or scratch the coating so it doesn't end up in your food, etc.

The problem is, I want my family to be safe and I don't always do the cooking so I am not always in control of the above conditions. 

I worked in a place for a short period of time back in the early 90's that worked with Teflon coated plastics. We had to machine, heat, bend and work this plastic using all sorts of methods. Whenever we had to use any heating method on the plastic we wore masks that ventilated air in from the outside. Still, once or twice a year, most everyone in the plant would get something they called "The Teflon Flu" where you would be sick for a day or so. That didn't seem too healthy to me so I avoid Teflon.

but a well seasoned cast iron or carbon steel pan comes pretty close to being non-stick.   Gotta be careful with how you clean them and minimize cooking stuff like tomato sauce in them, but otherwise they work great.  

Yep, I've been using them for years but I'd like to try something easier if it exists.

Getting the seasoning on them can be a little bit of a pain, but not that bad. 

Keeping the seasoning on them is even harder sometimes.

Sounds like you have it under control.    I'm not convinced about the teflon thing, since it needs to be heated into the 600 degree range to be a problem.   Not trying to get into a debate here at all, I was just wondering, since I have not heard much recently about any issues.  

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Sounds like you have it under control.    I'm not convinced about the teflon thing, since it needs to be heated into the 600 degree range to be a problem.   Not trying to get into a debate here at all, I was just wondering, since I have not heard much recently about any issues.  

Me neither.

That's why my post was just asking if anyone here had any experience with ceramic cookware.