• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great post Wanderer! I have noticed difference in looks, quality and stalk patch to patch. I wonder if this goes back to the variety of asparagus first planted? For sure a neat, interesting and tasty plant! 

1 hour ago, minky said:

Man your hard to fool! Lol

Might be just in my head but I think when I find them and pick them fresh, they taste better!

They do!  I just go to my patch, cut a few off and eat em raw on the spot.

A buddy checked his patches around the Elk River area after looking over mine last Saturday.  He didn’t find anything nearly as far along as mine are.  Mine are on the low side of a west facing river bank.  Warm wet and pretty sheltered.

I think this year I’m going to try to spread em out and get some more stands started.

I saw some people foraging on the opposite side of the pond in my backyard yesterday.  Couldn't figure out they were after.  Both of them had small cleavers as their tool of choice.  Tossing something in a bucket. 

I had the binocs on them just out of curiosity.

Edited by bobbymalone

4 hours ago, minky said:

I wonder what they were picking? I have seen groups of ladies in twin cities parks picking stinging nettles. I asked, lady said they use them in a soup.

I was cleaning up the dead stuff and leaves from a flower bed yesterday and saw a couple ramps popping up so maybe that's what they were after.  It didn't look like there was much for leaves on whatever they were picking.  Looked more like a root.  I thought maybe wild ginger too.

Edited by bobbymalone

Found plenty of ramps today. The fiddleheads are starting in my area. I picked 3 ramps and 3 fiddleheads. I didn't check for asparagus but my guess is we are still a few weeks out. No pheasant backs but I didn't really look to hard. I forgot about them until the walk out. I did see lots of blood root which is just fun to see.

20200502_170644.jpg

On 5/14/2020 at 3:59 PM, minky said:

First asparagus of the new year. Most plants are just starting to come out of the ground. Hopefully in the next week or two we should get some good eaters.

20200514_155154.jpg

I missed the window on mine.  I cut about 6-7 on Friday but most of them are pushing 2 feet tall and several have branched out already.  Had a few fiddle heads too.  I got the grandkids to much on the raw asparagus and they liked it.

I posted my pic of 2 ramps and some fiddleheads on fb. A lady got on my case for harvesting the whole ramp plant, said I was over harvesting. I replyed, I selectively harvest. I think I took maybe 8 plants out of 100's.

Edited by minky