• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I have to look up ramps on the interweb to see if I have any to try.  Never had them before.

This is one I found that could be very helpful during Duck season. They walk right into your boat! :grin:

18xp-duckramp-1-master768.jpg

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

This is one I found that could be very helpful during Duck season. They walk right into your boat! :grin:

18xp-duckramp-1-master768.jpg

I've never understood why ducks are so OK with landing right next to my alumacraft and so weary of coming even close when I'm covered in camo and buried in the reeds.

I live in the cities and tried a couple of springs to find some ramps, nothing. The first time I looked at my parents North of Cambridge, they were all over! Now I try to only harvest enough for myself and a few close friends. Growing up, no one i knew harvested wild edibles. I have never harvested fiddleheads so these  are on my hit list this spring!

5 hours ago, minky said:

Figured out how to post a picture of my ramps and fiddleheads.

20180507_122238.jpg

I suppose you found them when you were "planting trees" too?  :whistle:  :lol:

21 minutes ago, minky said:

Checked my ramp area just for fun on Saturday, good to just be back in the woods. Hopefully in a few weeks we will start to see some ramps!

Well I guess better today then Thursday during the Blizzard!  ?

Maybe this will be my year to find some morel mushrooms to! A guy can always dream. Nothing else I am usually able to find enough pheasant back mushrooms for a meal.

I'm thinking the Morels may be a little late this year with the cold and late snows we had.

One thing that I have yet to find is wild asparagus. Any tips where to look for them? Low lands? 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, leech~~ said:

One thing that I have yet to find is wild asparagus. Any tips where to look for them? Low lands? 

My first find was on my river bank.  When I searched for more info, I remember reading 2 things: asparagus likes to keep its feet wet; and there really isn’t any “wild” asparagus.  What we find foraging is the same stuff as in the store.  

And like @minky stated, you start seeing stands along the road in wet field areas here and there when you know what to look for.  It grows pretty tall and leaves the dried stalks looking almost like a tumble weed in the spring.  Not quite as heavy or round but I can’t think of a better way to describe it.  

Cut it when it’s short cuz it gets woody after a foot tall or so, and like anything else, don’t take it all or you won’t have any left to come back to.