• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Is Upon Us

JBMasterAngler

On 3/25/2018 at 5:06 PM, smurfy said:

well i was told by parents and grandparents the blue heron were!!!!!! must be the german thing!:grin:

anywho..........i did see my first blue heron today and a killdeer!!!!!!!!! so it must be when the loons are back spring truly arrives!!!!:D

I’ve seen a few blue herons in the twin cities area and even my first loon of the year on Sunday! It will have to stay on the river for a little while from

the looks of the weather though coming up. Still quite a bit of ice on the lakes.

I remember hearing a story about the giant Canada Geese here in Rochester some years back.   They had some collared so knew where they went.   It was a nice spring and one day, most of the geese that wintered on Silver Lake were gone.   A day or two later, they were back.   Tracking indicated they had flown to Hudson's bay only to find the area ice and snow covered...  So they flew back to Rochester.  

Took a couple days round trip.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:48 AM, smurfy said:

spring truly really doesn't arrive till the ole slew pumpers show up........... blue herons. i have noticed more birds lately at the feeders so its a good start. that all all this snow forecasted didn't show up either!!!!!

First shypoke Sat evening flying down Minnehaha Creek toward Meadowbrook Lake. 

9 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Is that a purple finch or house finch? I had several show up at my feeders for the first time of the season today, and couldn’t determine which they were. 

Also, found a dead redpoll by the feeders. Poor guy :( wonder what happened to him. 

purple finch. I will see if I can get a pic of both when more come thru. We have a few house finches around all winter. Female purles are pretty easy to spot and they will be with the males. Darker lines than the female house finches. maybe more will pop by today.

My feeders have been super active today. Unfortunately I had a trio of starlings show up :eek: that’s the first time I’ve seen them in this neighborhood since I moved here 2 years ago. I’ve been joking about shooting the squirrels with a pellet gun, but if starlings and pigeons start showing up, I really will have to break it out!