• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recovery Gear

Papa Bear

With all the snow we got this winter, I got myself stuck on the lake a few times. After the first time, I bought tire chains which helped a lot but didn't do me any good when trying to get off of Mille Lacs a couple weeks ago. There was a lot of blowing and drifting. I got off my path and ended up high centered on a drift. About 3 hours of digging and failed attempts later one of the resort plows made it out to give us a pull. I usually carry a high lift jack and tow straps. I've read that by dropping a chunk of 6x6 in an auger hole a guy can use this as an anchor point to winch against with the high lift. Anyone ever done this? I'm curious if the 5000 lb winching capacity of the jack would be enough to pull my truck and wheelhouse.  I prefer to be as self reliant as possible and would like to carry the gear needed to get myself out next time if possible. Anyone else carry some form of recovery gear?

Hole with a post, or 3' of heavy pipe with a retrieve rope on the end and tow strap fastened to the center.  Send the pipe down the hole and then pull it up by the tow strap so its bridged across the bottom of the hole.   To remove it slack off and the tow strap and pull it out with the retrieve rope tied to the end of the pipe.

The come along, and good shovel will get your out of a lot of messes.   If your using a post then drill the hole at an angle away from your pulling direction.  I like the pipe as it can't pop of the hole like the post can.  If your alone put the truck in gear while your working the come along. You usually only need to pull a few feet to free up the truck.

A come along is about the most reliable thing going, but yeah, slow.

Next time I suggest making a run to your destination with just your truck to break trail, then go back and get your house if you feel like you can make it.  Once your stuck with the house things are more complicated.

2 hours ago, Surface Tension said:

Send the pipe down the hole and then pull it up by the tow strap so its bridged across the bottom of the hole.   To remove it slack off and the tow strap and pull it out with the retrieve rope tied to the end of the pipe.

Really like this idea. Thank you!