• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod guides

tinker

I have a question for you rod builders about rod guides. I have Fenwick Eagle spinning rods with stainless guides . I notice a lot of friction when reeling in larger fish . I can actually hear a singing noise coming from the rod. My question would replacing the stainless guides with ceramic guides help ? 

Never understood guides with no insert.  I have a catfish rod with stainless guides and the tip has a rut from running heavy braid through it.  Eventually, I'll cut through it.  

For your fenwick, I'd suggest a new rod.  Replacing the guides seems like more trouble than it's worth unless you're really enamored with that rod.

Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I thought. I guess it comes under the heading of " Knock Knock Puddin Head ".  I have made a few ice rods this year and have done some guide repairs over the years enjoy doing it so maybe I'll look for a set of guides and give it  a try. The rods are 6 ' 6'' any advice on which guides? 

Thanks again. 

I pretty much exclusively use titanium fuji guides with SiC rings.  They are not cheap at all.  You can easily double the cost you paid for eagle GT with those guides.

I don't have a ton of rods and I want the ones I have to be performance machines.

But if I were you, I would get a set a fuji steel guides with alconite inserts.  You can buy them as a set for maybe $40.  

I've never replaced guides on a rod before.  How do you plan to get the old ones off?  Will you eat up the finish?

That is not a high end rod nor does it have a sterling reputation.  But if you like it and it works for you, who cares.  However do not spend a lot of money on a set of guides-$20 tops.  Carefully remove the remains of the old guide with a razor blade,  changing them often. Usually when you get the end under the ring cut you can unwrap a lot of the old wrappings.  Then lightly and carefully sand the are where the wrapping finish was, get it smooth as you can. Wrap the new guides over the old scrapes of the original guides. Finish with whatever is the hot item today. Don't put it on too thick. And don't GOUGE into the blank material when cleaning the old guides off. You should be able to get several more years service while you save up for a nice Loomis designed by my old pal.

You're welcome

from somebody who has done a few thousand wraps!   :)

Edited by Ufatz
spelling

Thank you again for the information. I have removed guides form rods before with gentle heat and a razor blade with some success. I realize these rods are not high end and  I thought I might try new guides as a project while I wait for the tons of snow and slush we have on are local lakes dissipates . I do not consider myself in the same company as the craftsmen who make custom rods and have a lot of respect for the talent it takes to make one.

Appreciate you sharing the information.