• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch mounted plow

Looking at throwing a front hitch on my truck and picking up a plow, mostly for my house and a couple others within a few miles of me.  Would also like to bring it to the Cabin a few times a year but they all say max travel speed is 45 mph.  Is this just due to over heating or are there other issues it could cause?  Curious if I could just throw it on the rear hitch for highway driving.  That would solve the overheating issue. I have a trailer if needed but would rather not have to drag that around if I don’t have to.

I know someone who has one for his yard and it works ok for that.

I have an older Western unimount on my Jeep Wrangler. It's only 6.5' wide but it is perfect for what I do and it moves more snow than I ever planned to move. I think I paid $1200 for it.

The one thing you will miss is the ability to lift and tilt it. Especially if the snow gets harder or deeper.

As far as driving with it. Mine will cause an overheat if I raise it all the way up. I need to keep it at about half way up and I also turn off the overdrive to help the transmission.

I think it might get old to keep hooking and unhooking it and I'm not sure how easy they are to get in and out of the receiver in the cold and snow. I think they are better if you are in a garage and can have a hand hooking them up. 

The one I want has a wireless electric winch and I have two heated garages to leave it in.  Hitching up looks pretty easy as it has rolling casters on it and I can drop it on a floor jack for moving and raising it.  Main concern is I want to bring it to the cabin a few times a year which is 3 hours away and I don’t want to have to trailer it. 

What would be the advantage to a hitch mounted plow? Is it price? 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:19 PM, Moon Lake Refuge said:

they all say max travel speed is 45 mph.  Is this just due to over heating or are there other issues it could cause? 

I'm just speculating here but I would think it would have more to do than just over-heating. I'm thinking they are just not made for running down the road.

4 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

What would be the advantage to a hitch mounted plow? Is it price? 

I'm just speculating here but I would think it would have more to do than just over-heating. I'm thinking they are just not made for running down the road.

That’s the only kind I can find under 2k.  Just throw a hitch on the front and your good to go 

1 hour ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

That’s the only kind I can find under 2k.  Just throw a hitch on the front and your good to go 

How about a used plow? Looks like there are some for under $2000 on c-r-a-i-g-s-l-i-s-t.

20 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

A Jeep Wrangler with a plow sounds like fun to me. :D

If only you knew.:grin:

FB_IMG_1519785650798.jpg

Sorry for the hijack.

As far as the speed limit, that could possibly be because the only mounting point is to the hitch and the wind could put a lot of pressure on that?