• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle vs Firebrand vs Yetti

zachdahlheimer

22 minutes ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

Exactly how am I wrong in that a 1500 pickup can't tow the trailer?

A 7,000 lb trailer? 

If you are strictly talking about newer trucks you are probably right in most instances but 1/2 ton trucks have not always been capable of towing that much weight and not everyone has a brand new truck.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. I once owned a 28', 7,000-8,000 lb. travel trailer. Could my truck tow it? Absolutely. Could my truck tow it safely? Not really. So I ended up selling it and getting a lighter version that is under 5,000 lbs dry and it is still a load for my truck to handle safely. 

I doubt my next truck will be a half ton.

3 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

I think your taking these discussions a little to serious.  I up for discussion, where am I off or wrong on a nils or champion generator?

Discussion is good------- to a point. Discussion and debate are two totally different things. If you feel like hauling a 7k pound fish house is safe? Great--- state why and leave it at that. It is when it starts getting to be a D*ck measuring contest that people tend to get sick of things and they quit hearing what you are trying to say..

• "I might be wrong here, but it looks to me like you've never trucked or had to haul heavy loads with equipment"
  • "If you need  to use a diesel duality for other work I totally agree/get it. However, those city slickers don't need one to pull a wheel house on a lake. "
  • "You must not actually use a pickup Much for the purpose of towing hauling is my guess"

There are a handful of guys that have contributed pages worth of content/support (and a little B.S.) along the way and deserve a little respect. I don't think that you are meaning any disrespect... but your coming off a bit like a douche. Not trying to bust your balls... just teach you a bit of forum etiquette, and maybe a smidgeon of humility.

Edited by rl_sd

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Discussion is good------- to a point. Discussion and debate are two totally different things. If you feel like hauling a 7k pound fish house is safe? Great--- state why and leave it at that. It is when it starts getting to be a D*ck measuring contest that people tend to get sick of things and they quit hearing what you are trying to say..

• "I might be wrong here, but it looks to me like you've never trucked or had to haul heavy loads with equipment"
  • "If you need  to use a diesel duality for other work I totally agree/get it. However, those city slickers don't need one to pull a wheel house on a lake. "
  • "You must not actually use a pickup Much for the purpose of towing hauling is my guess"

There are a handful of guys that have contributed pages worth of content/support (and a little B.S.) along the way and deserve a little respect. I don't think that you are meaning any disrespect... but your coming off a bit like a douche. Not trying to bust your balls... just teach you a bit of forum etiquette, and maybe a smidgeon of humility.

I'm not trying to come of has a duche, but people take things way to personal. If you are getting all bent over this you are taking it to personal. This was never about a d*ck measuring contest, nor was any disrespect intended. I get it that when people disagree with something they don't tend to want to hear about it. No need to act like a snowflake over it. 

I guess if you don't want to believe that a 1500 truck can,will, and does pull the load. That is fine.  However, it is a fact that it can. Now, if the driver is comfortable or not doing it more then likely depends on the driver. There are plenty of people who go both ways. 

I say to each his own on towing as long as you are doing it safely.

That being said, I was very impressed with my nephew's brand new ford eco-boost last weekend. He went from his house in Eagan down to Belle Plaine to pick up me, my son and my father-in-law. We loaded the truck up with gear and men and headed for Lake Winnie. We drove to the Gosh Dam place one of the nights and when we drove home he never needed to stop for gas and when we got back to Belle Plaine he still had over 100 miles left on the fuel tank. 

I'm lucky if I can make it to Winnie on 1 tank with my Hemi Let alone all the way back home.

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I say to each his own on towing as long as you are doing it safely.

That being said, I was very impressed with my nephew's brand new ford eco-boost last weekend. He went from his house in Eagan down to Belle Plaine to pick up me, my son and my father-in-law. We loaded the truck up with gear and men and headed for Lake Winnie. We drove to the Gosh Dam place one of the nights and when we drove home he never needed to stop for gas and when we got back to Belle Plaine he still had over 100 miles left on the fuel tank. 

I'm lucky if I can make it to Winnie on 1 tank with my Hemi Let alone all the way back home.

I'm a huge fan of the Ecoboost.  I had one in my 2011 F150 and loved it.  Good chance it'll be in my next truck, as well.  

If I were to get back into the half ton market I’d look at an Eco Boost rig too.  Been in friend’s Fords with those and they’ve served us well.

That’s not too bad of a statement coming from a lifelong GM fan.  My usual line on Fords has been “I owned one.  Once.” ;)

Just gotta be cautious about the high mileage maintenance needs on the Eco Boosts though.  One friend that bought his new had to deal with expensive maintenance/repairs recently.  Abnormally high costs for a half ton gas rig.  Comparable to repairing a diesel.  He’s at the 200k mark though.

My shack is a 22' aluminum and my weight savings is in the ballpark of 1000lbs vs a similarity equipped IC. As others have mentioned, weight savings was not the reason for choosing aluminum but is a definite bonus. I'd ignore the truck size discussion but several things have been mentioned that I can relate to. A year ago I had a 1/2 ton but upgraded to a 3/4 gasser over the summer. No regrets about doing that. Today's 1/2 tons are built to be mileage machines not pullers. Yes they CAN pull but for my dollar, my precious cargo and my usage (>90% pulling) there is no debate. If you don't have the right tool for the job, you are setting yourself up for failure before you even start. I could have have welded my shack together with JB weld....