• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ciscoes

TerryK

The main source of ciscoes has been from an area in the BWCAW.  That operation was shut down by the Feds due to questions about the operators possibly netting on the Ontario side of the border (Lacey Act) and the overall issue of making money on BWCAW resources.  Last I heard the Feds were still mum on the whole deal after seizing all known stocks from bait dealers.

Smelt work but sometimes they run a little big for people’s preferences.  People have been finding them at some bait shops but also at some grocery stores and maybe Costco.

Being that you’re heading to Canada it might be worth a few calls up that way to see if anyone has any ciscoes up there already?

Good luck!

I guess I should’ve checked and asked: are you really in Vegas?

Edited by Wanderer

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Smelt work but sometimes they run a little big for people’s preferences.  People have been finding them at some bait shops but also at some grocery stores and maybe Costco.

Asian grocery stores usually have big bags of them for a few bucks.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

Asian grocery stores usually have big bags of them for a few bucks.

I was informed that those are not legal as bait in MN, have to have some sort of tag.   Are they legal in Ontario?   And what about getting them across the border?  

Yes I am nice & warm in Vegas. We used to live in IL. We fly out to Chicago every year to visit then drive up to Canada to fish. I usually buy ciscoes in advance from a bait shop in Duluth. When I contacted him this time he told me there are none. Thanks for your response. At least I know what’s happened

The person who would probably know the most used to and maybe still does post on the Vermilion section of FishingMinnesota.com as Great Outdoors if I recall correctly.  I believe he runs a bait shop in Ely, MN.   If anyone would know the status, he would.  

6 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I was informed that those are not legal as bait in MN, have to have some sort of tag.   Are they legal in Ontario?   And what about getting them across the border?  

Keep your receipt and original packaging with the stores name on it

1 hour ago, PRO-V said:

I am pretty sure Canada prohibits import of smelt. Check their regs.

Quite possible.  I know they’re big on preserved bait and we can’t bring any live minnows over the border.  I’d have to check myself; it’s been a while since I’ve read their regs.

Good call.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, PRO-V said:

Forgot to mention I don't think they allow smelt in any form.... frozen, salted etc.

Was just digging through the freezer for the next few nights dinner and came across the package of smelt I bought last year in Tower.  Forgot I still had those.

The label shows they’re a product of Canada.   Awesome Adventures Fisheries.

VHS Certified from Prince Edward Island.

SMELT (OSMERUS MORDAX)

Fished from VHS FREE water source of Prince Edward Island.

Specifications:    • Season October thru December

January thru February

Sizes Available:   • 5” up to 9”

Packaged:            • 180 gr Minimum Vacuum  Package / 24 Pack case

• Bulk 40 lb Master Carton

Edited by Wanderer