• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN Turkey 2018

rkhinrichs

I did a bit of scouting Saturday, walking around on the frozen snow was not to bad. Some of the fields have clear strips on the north edges. I'm guessing the birds will go there for food and to be in the sun. As the snow melts the plowed fields will turn to slop. I'm also guessing the birds will avoid those as they just suck to cross. I did see a few tracks, so know some are around. Just need to spend some time in the woods to figure them out and see how active they are. probably just use a hen decoy or none at all to start....

Most the birds are breaking up , this weather will not keep them from doing their duty. The ladies will have to get going and I watched a bunch birds fight and pretty much get the pecking order going. Won't be the first time i've hunted in snow and like I said they have to do their thing.

Mid morning the hens started kicking the Toms yesterday and Toms out looking for some more ladies to bug. Snow sure helps find them easy going to be a fun opening day. I can only hunt evenings until the weekend which is fine. Don't let the weather hold you back.

Went for a short hunt yesterday morning. Mostly a scouting mission to hear what is around. Just before 6:00 am had 4-5  different gobblers going off about 200 yards away on neighbors land. Sometimes those birds come my direction, They did not. They made very few gobbles on the ground. I sat until 9 then packed it up, hearing nothing after 7:00. I did see 8 deer so that was cool.. Hoping to get my son out Sunday afternoon/evening......

Sat on a different property yesterday morning. With the recent snow melt I can finally drive close to it. I sat until 11:00. Had gobbling near me most of the morning. Finally about 9:00  4 jakes and a hen came out to the field followed by 2 large Toms and another hen. The jakes came cruising in to me dekes. Got as close as 7 yards but the big Toms kept there distance. I don't think they liked my strutter decoy. It is one that spins and the tail raises/lowers. Might be a bit to aggressive for this early season. They eventually walked off with the hen following them., never getting closer then 75 yards. Depending on this rain I might get out this evening/otherwise will have to wait until Friday/Saturday morning with my son...

I guess I have time to post since there isn’t any turkey activity going on for me right now.  Everything else I could ask for is around ‘cept turkeys.

Not complaining at all though!  Gorgeous morning and lots to listen to and watch.  Had a yote barking at me for over 5 minutes after catching my scent.  No shot with the bow.  I’d like to make a lot more use of this property after spending just a short time here.  But being a guest, I’ll have to hope until it comes true!

My friend’s son got his bird and a yote last weekend and another father/son team scored a bird on the adjacent property.  My friend is over there now and not hearing any birds either.  The birds winter around here so maybe they’ve moved off.  Hard to say right now.  Nonetheless happy to be afield with the bow this fine morning. :)

Good luck all. 

Absolutely quiet here in Cushing as well wanderer!

Had one gobbling on roost less than 100yds away.  At fly down another bird gobbled 3 times on the ground, he didnt make a peep on roost. Not a gobble or yelp since.  Certainly birds within ear shot I am sure, they are just quiet I guess.

Edited by ANYFISH2

The posting magic make something happen thing almost worked.  Right after my other post I heard some yelping.  I don’t think it was another hunter but 10 minutes after that a deer came from that direction looking a little stressed.  Hmmm.  Yote or person?  I should be the only hunter on this piece today. 

Keep up up the patience AF2!  At least you know you got birds!  Soft clucks and purrs...

40 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Please "Live Stream" your hunts for us who didn't go this year!  :D

There’s lots of season left!