• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally picked up my Christmas present today

On 1/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, delcecchi said:

Just wondrring.  Do the same thing, get different results.  

Del, you're never going to guess what I had for supper tonight.

My wife brought home ribs made by one of her clients for a Superbowl party but they had to cancel the party last minute. They had an over abundance of ribs made up so they sent what amounts to about one whole slab of spare ribs. I started eating them and the first thing I noticed was they were very tender but no smoke flavor. I just assumed they were made in the oven or crock pot but then my wife begins to tell me how this culinary genius made them in sealed bags with this machine that kind of boils them.......

"Souse Vide", I said.

"Yeah, that's it, how did you know?" She replied.

Ha Ha Ha :D

BD2-- when you foil wrapped the ribs did you wrap them separate or together?  When you then put them back in after wrapping did you put them in bone side up or bone side down?

May seem like dumb questions, but it does make a difference in doneness and taste.

9 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

BD2-- when you foil wrapped the ribs did you wrap them separate or together?  When you then put them back in after wrapping did you put them in bone side up or bone side down?

May seem like dumb questions, but it does make a difference in doneness and taste.

I wrapped them separately like I always do and I put them back in bone side up.

18 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Del, you're never going to guess what I had for supper tonight.

My wife brought home ribs made by one of her clients for a Superbowl party but they had to cancel the party last minute. They had an over abundance of ribs made up so they sent what amounts to about one whole slab of spare ribs. I started eating them and the first thing I noticed was they were very tender but no smoke flavor. I just assumed they were made in the oven or crock pot but then my wife begins to tell me how this culinary genius made them in sealed bags with this machine that kind of boils them.......

"Souse Vide", I said.

"Yeah, that's it, how did you know?" She replied.

Ha Ha Ha :D

I assume you immediately went outside and puked them up.    :lol:

Smoke flavor can be added with liquid smoke, made from actual smoke.   And a smoke ring can come from a shot of pink salt.  

To all you purists, I agree.  Sous Vide ribs are not BBQ although a post sous vide smoke can make them more like the ones you are used to.    Liquid smoke is condensed actual smoke so it is the same flavor you get from wood. 

And of course there are people who are not in a position to run a smoker, or for whom the weather is unfavorable..:D  but might still want to fix some ribs.   Also doing them sous vide is less labor intensive.

To be honest Del, I'm really just giving you a hard time about Souse vide because that's what I do. The ribs are fine, in fact I'm eating the last left-over bit of them for lunch as I type this.

Everyone is free to like what they like and cook what they cook. Souse Vide certainly has a place and it's very possible that I may even buy one someday and try it myself but I won't be cooking ribs with it.

Had to finally read this thread.  I got a Masterbuilt as a gift yesterday.  Assembled and seasoned today.  Mine is the propane model, not electric.

Gonna run 4 pheasants for my first pass and then some tullibees after.

I haven’t had this much smoking capacity to work with before.  Do you guys ever do fish and birds/other meat at the same time?  I’m concerned about drippings falling on the product on the lower racks.

31 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Had to finally read this thread.  I got a Masterbuilt as a gift yesterday.  Assembled and seasoned today.  Mine is the propane model, not electric.

Gonna run 4 pheasants for my first pass and then some tullibees after.

I haven’t had this much smoking capacity to work with before.  Do you guys ever do fish and birds/other meat at the same time?  I’m concerned about drippings falling on the product on the lower racks.

Congrats on the new smoker. :)

I have had the same thought about cooking different types of meat together for a few reasons. Different cooking temps, time frames, seasonings and don't want my pork to taste like fish or fish to taste like pork or chicken or beef.  Not even sure about health concerns? :confused:

7 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

I'll run different meats together as long as it takes the same smoke, chicken / pork with hickory or fruit woods  but fish is usually by it's self.

DO  i need to say it again?????????????:grin::grin::P