• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick ice locator holder.

leech~~

Going Ice fishing with my son for the first time this weekend in like 8 years since before he went off to college and got busy with his new job. 

Rigged this up with my summer locator and extra ducer in about an hour with odds and ends laying around the house and garage so we both have a locator to use.

I think it should work well for the day, and hopefully if we catch any Walleyes some more trips with him. :)

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

Edited by leech~~

Very cool!

I was lucky enough to have my dad take me fishing pretty much every weekend from when I was 10 till I was 16. He even let me help build our permie back in 1993 (which we just retired, may she rest in peace).  At 16 I thought I hit my freedom phase and me and a buddy decided to build our own house. I didn't do a whole lot of fishing directly with dad from 16-25, although our houses were never too far apart. Once I got out of college, I was in the same boat as your son. Lots of things to do in life and dreams to chase.... turns out there wasn't enough time for ice fishing. As things started to slow down in life... along came marriage... then children. About 5 years back, I decided to go up and spend a weekend in the old shack with dad. It didn't take me long to realize how much I missed fishing, especially with him. A year later I took my 4 year old and he loved it. The year after we decided to build a new permie. Today, there isn't many weekends that we don't fish together and enjoy each others company!

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Going Ice fishing with my son for the first time this weekend in like 8 years since before he went off to college and got busy with his new job. 

Rigged this up with my summer locator and extra ducer in about an hour with odds and ends laying around the house and garage so we both have a locator to use.

I think it should work well for the day, and hopefully if we catch any Walleyes some more trips with him. :)

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

What did you use to cut out the handle hole, a beaver? :D:P

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

Very cool!

I was lucky enough to have my dad take me fishing pretty much every weekend from when I was 10 till I was 16. He even let me help build our permie back in 1993 (which we just retired, may she rest in peace).  At 16 I thought I hit my freedom phase and me and a buddy decided to build our own house. I didn't do a whole lot of fishing directly with dad from 16-25, although our houses were never too far apart. Once I got out of college, I was in the same boat as your son. Lots of things to do in life and dreams to chase.... turns out there wasn't enough time for ice fishing. As things started to slow down in life... along came marriage... then children. About 5 years back, I decided to go up and spend a weekend in the old shack with dad. It didn't take me long to realize how much I missed fishing, especially with him. A year later I took my 4 year old and he loved it. The year after we decided to build a new permie. Today, there isn't many weekends that we don't fish together and enjoy each others company!

I'm entering that phase right now where my son doesn't really go fishing with me anymore. He does take his buddies out to my house when I'm not there though. 

I hope he someday transitions back around like you did.

3 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I'm entering that phase right now where my son doesn't really go fishing with me anymore. He does take his buddies out to my house when I'm not there though. 

I hope he someday transitions back around like you did.

Don't worry, he will. Kids go through the phases:

1. Nurturer (0-5)
  2. Super hero (5-13)
  3. Discipliner (13-16)
  4. Old guy that thinks he knows it all (16-18)
  5. Someone to ask advice if you are hard up (18-21)
  6. Someone you can have an a civil conversation over an occasional beer(21-25)
  7. Friend.......... (25-??)

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

If you read it I did this whole job in about an hour!  I called PF to use his wood shop to make it out of Cherry wood but couldn't get a hold of him?

Ragnar-epic-eye-roll-Vikings-3x05.gif

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

If you read it I did this whole job in about an hour!  I called PF to use his wood shop to make it out of Cherry wood but couldn't get a hold of him?

Ragnar-epic-eye-roll-Vikings-3x05.gif

I would never subject my precious Cherry wood to that type of Carnage.

But seriously- if you are going to use that thing I have a lowrance ice kit that I can send you if you want to cover s and h.  And if you have the older connector( not blue) I have an ice ducer I'll throw in for free. Just please, for the live of God promise you will never do something like that to wood ever again. :grin:

18 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I would never subject my precious Cherry wood to that type of Carnage.

But seriously- if you are going to use that thing I have a lowrance ice kit that I can send you if you want to cover s and h.  And if you have the older connector( not blue) I have an ice ducer I'll throw in for free. Just please, for the live of God promise you will never do something like that to wood ever again. :grin:

Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure how much it will get used. If he shows and interest to get back out there then we'll look for a better solution.  :)

And it was just old scrap plywood from the garage!  Geez you wood guys really get Grainy!  :grin:

Edited by leech~~

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

You didn't try to call me, I would have given you some old oak boards I have laying around and let you use a few of my basic woodworking tools like a jig saw, an oscillating drum sander and a router with a round over bit. 

I always tell my son, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. :D:);) 

13 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You didn't try to call me, I would have given you some old oak boards I have laying around and let you use a few of my basic woodworking tools like a jig saw, an oscillating drum sander and a router with a round over bit. 

I always tell my son, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. :D:);) 

I'm sure if I had the time I could have spent 10 more minutes and made a nice one out of Oak or Cherry wood! Or found a blue Genz box on C/list and been done with it! :lol:

Well, craapy wood work or not. Had a very good day with my son for our first ice fishing trip in 10 years or so and put a few Walleyes on the ice. Let a nice 25" go. :) 

Remember, it's not always what a box looks like. It's what you do with it! :P

IMG_3104.JPG

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Well, craapy wood work or not. Had a very good day with my son for our first ice fishing trip in 10 years or so and put a few Walleyes on the ice. Let a nice 25" go. :) 

IMG_3104.JPG

That's what it's all about right there. Father and son making memories.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:17 AM, leech~~ said:

IMG_3104.JPG

Pelican? My buddy and I made our one big ice fishing trip this past weekend and fished Pelican. Only two walleyes we caught were on Saturday - both 24+ inches. I too got to fish with my dad, on Friday, and got skunked but had a good time nonetheless.

1 hour ago, KennethHolland said:

very good idea of the holder, thanks for the idea))

Thanks Keneth or KennethHolland.  Welcome to the forum. All the way down in Atlanta, must not get to ice fish much now? Did you put Female on your profile to throw people off? Don't seem to hear many gals named Kenneth.  Well good luck with making a locator holder and post it when your done. :)