• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which season is best for Turkey hunting. Season a or B?

MidCoast

I'm not an expert and generally do my turkey hunting in the Missouri Ozarks where there aren't all these season things to deal with.  But here's my two cents.

1.  If your birds are pressured they may have already have been shot at during A if you're hunting B.

2.  Early / late spring can affect their behavior

3.  Week A might be a torrential downpour and week B might be nice weather or vice versa.

So, IMO it's a crapshoot.  I'd always go with earliest available though.

I will just go with my experience last year. First day of season A I was able to call in 4 nice birds but no shot

Second day I called in 2 nice Toms and took one. 

My uncle couldn't get out until season B He was having a tougher time. I went and helped him call end of the week and got one to come in but it hung back out of range.

He later shot one a couple weeks later but really had to work for it.

So I guess I would say try to get earliest you can.

Either season works fine i have hunted both and success in both. Scouting is huge and knowing your property helps a ton more then what season. If you know what the birds are doing , going you are already have the advantage to start. Put in the time in our short hunting seasons don't let the weather hold you back.

A season has always been a slam dunk for me.  Season B I am 2 for 3.  Seasons c-the end I am 2 for 2, young birds however.

Weather is variable throughout, but i have killed birds in a heavy snow storm, rain and wind throughout the years.  Just scout and hunt, birds will tell you what to do if you listen.  

Sometimes they lie though!:D

Pick the season that best allows you the time to be out the most.  Time in the woods and fields will equal the most success, this year and years going forward.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:45 AM, Wanderer said:

@MidCoast

When you say Northern MN, do you have a particular property or flock picked already or are you just planning to hunt in a general area?

Sorry to be the guy that quotes himself but more info is needed.  Otherwise, yeah, might as well apply for A season if it’s just a general hunt.  And hope the weather cooperates.

I've hunted "A" a few times.  This season has accounted for the easiest and hardest hunts for me to date.  I've gone to hunting the middle seasons and find the birds more predictable.   I've had some great hunts late season as well.  My credo is hunt when you can....