Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

walleyewarrior_23

Camper ice shack holes freezing over

Recommended Posts

I’ve seen a few of these posts but I have a camper ice shack conversion that doesn’t drop down, open to ideas on how to keep my holes from freezing over- ive tried just about everything the boiling water, a minnow aerator, and charcoal and still fighting holes skimming over 

Edited by walleyewarrior_23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try computer fans over the holes. Will circulate warm air down and don't take squat for power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Try computer fans over the holes. Will circulate warm air down and don't take squat for power.

With flexible dryer vents to concentrate the air flow. I am assuming that you are using an 8" auger? 10" would buy you more time. What are you using for sleeves (PVC, 5 gallon pails, etc)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 30,000 btu furnace with 3 vents lower to the floor. I use an 8 inch auger but I’m having problems with them skimming over not really shrinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walleyewarrior_23 said:

I have a 30,000 btu furnace with 3 vents lower to the floor. I use an 8 inch auger but I’m having problems with them skimming over not really shrinking 

Also have catch cover sleeves by the way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the vents blow right over the top of the holes? The main issue is that heat rises, so unless you have a way to force/direct the heat down the sleeves - it is never going to go down there. Here is a few things to try....

 

  • The most effective is still going to be using a fan over the hole... using the flexible dryer venting may not be necessary, but will increase the effectiveness...
  • If the air from your furnace can be directed over the holes, you may be able to create an air dam or funnel to direct the air downwards.
  • When you drill your hole, are you removing the entire slush pile? A better solution would be to let the ice cone up, set your sleeve, and then clean out the inside of the sleeve only. The remaining ice cone is going to give you some insulation factor and should seal up any air leaks
  • The only other thing that I can think of is to insulate the sleeves themselves some way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Do the vents blow right over the top of the holes? The main issue is that heat rises, so unless you have a way to force/direct the heat down the sleeves - it is never going to go down there. Here is a few things to try....

 

  • The most effective is still going to be using a fan over the hole... using the flexible dryer venting may not be necessary, but will increase the effectiveness...
  • If the air from your furnace can be directed over the holes, you may be able to create an air dam or funnel to direct the air downwards.
  • When you drill your hole, are you removing the entire slush pile? A better solution would be to let the ice cone up, set your sleeve, and then clean out the inside of the sleeve only. The remaining ice cone is going to give you some insulation factor and should seal up any air leaks
  • The only other thing that I can think of is to insulate the sleeves themselves some way...

Thanks for the ideas my next thing to try is reflextix insulation from menards and fans down in the holes and go from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caution the reflextix just because you will lose the stackability of your hole sleeves.  I would imagine they would take up quite a bit of room then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rl has is spot on.  Make sure that you create a ice chip slush cone and then put the sleeves in and then scoop out shavings.  Then is help to throw those shavings around the edge of the house to create less air movement under the house.  Banking, slush cone and then fans are your best deterrents.  I am not sure the refletrix would do much in this case if warm air isn't hitting those holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ozzie said:

rl has is spot on.  Make sure that you create a ice chip slush cone and then put the sleeves in and then scoop out shavings.  Then is help to throw those shavings around the edge of the house to create less air movement under the house.  Banking, slush cone and then fans are your best deterrents.  I am not sure the refletrix would do much in this case if warm air isn't hitting those holes.

 

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that I have seen people that use a standard camper also bring with plywood sheets to set up along the outer edge of the house to help with the ability to bank the house...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I will say that I have seen people that use a standard camper also bring with plywood sheets to set up along the outer edge of the house to help with the ability to bank the house...

 

 

Good call... A lot of people are starting to use vinyl skirting on the wheel wells of their 8' houses... might be another option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When its cold like this I don't there is anything you can do about the holes freezing shut. All the skirting and snow banking I believe won't stop the freezing up of holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good deal! Did you leave the ice coned up to help keep a seal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drilled the holes first then set the sleeves down seemed to work a lot better...just have to make sure you mark your holes lol

Edited by walleyewarrior_23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Posting.  Cuz I can’t sleep worth a dump.  Gonna be a MEA yahoo for most the rest of the week.  I’ve heard good reports from the friends that are already out there. They took the whole week so I’m driving myself out Tuesday night.     Just getting the the back of the truck filled with dekes got me too revved up.  Gonna be hard packing anything else besides waders, layout blind, guns and shells!  Who needs food and more than one change of clothes for 5 days anyway?!
    • I was ALMOST headed to Ely as well but opted to stick to “productive” pursuits at home, figuring I probably missed the October window this year.  That only lasted a day though before I headed west.   It looked really cool though.  Quiet too I bet.
    • I have a couple LX5s and have been very happy with them.  I had to get a second one for the wheelhouse since after I set it up for the wife, I usually go out hole hopping my original one.  Then come back with fish only cuz I was using the “cheat mobile”.    With the second one I was able to let her stare at it long enough to figure it out cuz apparently my teaching skills are sub par.  She normally wanted to have the camera down all the time but come dark, it’s kinda hard to see anything.     Who knew a wheelhouse and flasher would change her from a winter hibernator to an ice fishing addict.  She wants to go EVERY weekend now.     Anyone wanna buy a wheelhouse? 😉😂   Just kidding.... but I wish she’d wanna try for lakers every once in a while.
    • Was up in Ely over the weekend, darn windy and chilly Sat night.  You make it look so warm and fuzzy with the camp setup and fire. 😊
    • I have no doubt that by now there is something on the market that is better than my FL-20 and my FL-8 but I already own them and they work for me and I am long over the days where I have to have the latest and greatest fishing equipment.    Most of these gadgets, gizmos and lures are better at catching fishermen than fish.
    • My bird places nice with vexilars and doesn't get it too bad when there is a marcum in the next hole.   Keep my FL18 as a backup/loaner, it's been bulletproof.  But I haven't looked backed since I got an ice55 bird.    
    • lol. my brother hates them also cuz they thow a robin chick out of the nest sometimes. Only a couple here, if i had too my they would meet my 17 pellet. Red squirrels get a pass. not enough here. Grays are a different story. 
    • put a new floor in over the past month and finished it off by winterized it on Saturday.
×