• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camper ice shack holes freezing over

walleyewarrior_23

I’ve seen a few of these posts but I have a camper ice shack conversion that doesn’t drop down, open to ideas on how to keep my holes from freezing over- ive tried just about everything the boiling water, a minnow aerator, and charcoal and still fighting holes skimming over 

Edited by walleyewarrior_23

3 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Try computer fans over the holes. Will circulate warm air down and don't take squat for power.

With flexible dryer vents to concentrate the air flow. I am assuming that you are using an 8" auger? 10" would buy you more time. What are you using for sleeves (PVC, 5 gallon pails, etc)?

Do the vents blow right over the top of the holes? The main issue is that heat rises, so unless you have a way to force/direct the heat down the sleeves - it is never going to go down there. Here is a few things to try....

• The most effective is still going to be using a fan over the hole... using the flexible dryer venting may not be necessary, but will increase the effectiveness...
  • If the air from your furnace can be directed over the holes, you may be able to create an air dam or funnel to direct the air downwards.
  • When you drill your hole, are you removing the entire slush pile? A better solution would be to let the ice cone up, set your sleeve, and then clean out the inside of the sleeve only. The remaining ice cone is going to give you some insulation factor and should seal up any air leaks
  • The only other thing that I can think of is to insulate the sleeves themselves some way...

56 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Do the vents blow right over the top of the holes? The main issue is that heat rises, so unless you have a way to force/direct the heat down the sleeves - it is never going to go down there. Here is a few things to try....

• The most effective is still going to be using a fan over the hole... using the flexible dryer venting may not be necessary, but will increase the effectiveness...
  • If the air from your furnace can be directed over the holes, you may be able to create an air dam or funnel to direct the air downwards.
  • When you drill your hole, are you removing the entire slush pile? A better solution would be to let the ice cone up, set your sleeve, and then clean out the inside of the sleeve only. The remaining ice cone is going to give you some insulation factor and should seal up any air leaks
  • The only other thing that I can think of is to insulate the sleeves themselves some way...

Thanks for the ideas my next thing to try is reflextix insulation from menards and fans down in the holes and go from there

rl has is spot on.  Make sure that you create a ice chip slush cone and then put the sleeves in and then scoop out shavings.  Then is help to throw those shavings around the edge of the house to create less air movement under the house.  Banking, slush cone and then fans are your best deterrents.  I am not sure the refletrix would do much in this case if warm air isn't hitting those holes.

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

rl has is spot on.  Make sure that you create a ice chip slush cone and then put the sleeves in and then scoop out shavings.  Then is help to throw those shavings around the edge of the house to create less air movement under the house.  Banking, slush cone and then fans are your best deterrents.  I am not sure the refletrix would do much in this case if warm air isn't hitting those holes.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

26 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I will say that I have seen people that use a standard camper also bring with plywood sheets to set up along the outer edge of the house to help with the ability to bank the house...

Good call... A lot of people are starting to use vinyl skirting on the wheel wells of their 8' houses... might be another option.