• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2018 gardens

smurfy

Everything is going strong now. Been making salsa for the last week or so, have been doing abt's with the jalapenos,  thinking on letting them go red to spread it out a bit. The early girls are kicking em out but the big boys have a bit. Canned two jars of pickles with more coming down the pipe, but I'm gonna hafta start grilling some zucchini,  can only make so much bread. 

Bell peppers seem to be running a little on the small side, starting to change colors but was hoping for some better sized ones for stuffing. Snap peas did good out of the gate but are trailing off already,  ya gotta love this time of year!!

Will probably pull the peas tonight. Tomatoes and cucs are booming. I am really disappointed in the pumpkins, oodles of flowers but very few pumpkins. Not sure what is going on? last year was the same. In years past had piles of pumpkins.....

2 hours ago, paceman said:

Will probably pull the peas tonight. Tomatoes and cucs are booming. I am really disappointed in the pumpkins, oodles of flowers but very few pumpkins. Not sure what is going on? last year was the same. In years past had piles of pumpkins.....

i had that happen a couple times with my cukes.................so far so good this year...........and tons of flowers. my cukes are a jungle trying to go thru them. 

8 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

Time for poppers this weekend!

20180803_081230.jpg

Some of my jalapeno's on one plant are turning black the rest look great. What's up with that? Their all getting the same amount of water. ?

Edited by leech~~

This mornings pick. My father in law gave me a recipe to try.  Cut tomato in half, make several slices on the interior but not through the skin. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle Snyders prime rib seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Cook indirect on the grill on foil at 350 degrees for 45min.  It will be a good side dish for the venison loin we are having today.

20180805_073803[765].jpg

On 8/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, Duffman said:

Pepper sauce time.

leech~~......

I get jalapenos every year like that. They usually turn back green or move to the red phase.

20180804_170346.jpg

Thanks, I'll stop throwing them in thew compost pile! 

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

my cukes and green peppers got yanked out last nite. i have a few mater plants that are about toast to!!!!!!!

That's too bad, did your garden get dried out at some point? You had a pretty good start to the season and had a jump on my garden.

Edited by Grainbelt

its wierd, my cukes the stems from the ground out look like they were died and dried out but the ends were green, plenty of flowers and producing.quite frankly, i got 2 medium size boxed of cukes in the frig i need to use or give away. i know this isnt right to say, i'm getting cucumbered out.

same with the peppers, i had to look thru a jungle to find them most of the summer as the cukes exploded and basiclly covered them. i have enough peppers for what i need, froze some for chili, and have eaten my share. and again there were no small ones coming in to keep them in the ground to make it till first frost.

my tomatoes, the ones i may be pulling soon are running out of tomatoes worth while .