• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

smurfy

2018 gardens

14 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

15 tomatoes, 8 cauliflower, 4 brussel sprouts, 150 onions, row of carrots, 30 hills potatoes, 6 cabbage, yellow&green beans, cukes, spinach

8 peppers, radishes, a large old asparagus bed and a patch if rhubarb

Everything looks good now that we had some rain a couple weeks ago.

That's a real garden, not a little hobby garden like mine.

56 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Here's what I got.

IMG_20180609_090758457.jpg

Ditto, looks good Smurfy.

11 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

Duff just curious are those 2 pictures from difference years?

Nope, taken a couple hours apart yesterday. Like fish pics, lighting and angles can play tricks.

:)

Deer wiped out the garden two years in a row, so I built the cage. It was all plastic netting at first, but the rabbits chewed through it, so I went with wire down below last year. And with it being so small, it's easy to keep up with the weeds.

12 hours ago, Wanderer said:

That is a cool looking back yard. :rolleyes:

Thank you Sir! 

After being cooped up for 6 months of the year, I tend to spend a lot of time out there barefootin' and dinking around.

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

Here's what I got.

IMG_20180609_090758457.jpg

very nice Glenn!!!  the old pooch is lookin good too!!!

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, Duffman said:

So I show the Old La.........Mrs. Duff the pic and she's like "That pic makes your garden look big.

20180608_212715.jpg

I'll try to be nice and Not say you forgot to take the "makes everything look big" lens off the camera! :P

Edited by leech~~

Here we go again. My tomatoes are looking great and then it starts. One plant started just wilting away. Got some nice tomatoes coming too. This has happened the last couple years. It starts and seems to spread to the rest. 

8C7C1E9E-F2EC-4E94-A8C9-610E3DE0A8FD.jpeg

405ABA80-B643-437F-978F-D681B2E104DF.jpeg

Have you had some really big rainfall amounts lately? I have seen my tomatoes look like that after a period of excessive rain. 

Posted (edited)

Net info.

How to Save Wilted Tomato Plants

Dig a 6-inch deep hole in the tomato bed with a narrow trowel and check the soil moisture.

Inspect the plants for insect damage, including ragged or holey leaves or visible insects along stems or on the underside

Examine foliage and stems for fungal infections. Check for dark spots on the leaves or a gray, white

Pull up and destroy tomato plants if the older leaves yellow and wilt first, followed by healthy leaves

Mow down weeds surrounding the tomato bed and pull weeds growing near the plants so wilt-causing pests and diseases

Why are my tomato plants wilting?

A: Quick Answer. Reasons for tomato wilt include inadequate watering, vascular wilt conditions, tomato spotted wilt virus, walnut toxicity and stalk borers. Tomato plants suffering from wilt due to inadequate watering or attack by stalk borers

Woodboring beetle

The term woodboring beetle encompasses many species and families of beetles whose larval or adult forms eat and destroy wood. In the woodworking industry, larval stages of some are sometimes referred to as woodworms. The three most speciose families of woodboring beetles are longhorn beetles, bark beetl…

en.wikipedia.org

can survive with proper treatment.

Edited by leech~~

Doesn't look like blight-I'd pull that plant and check for root maggots and stalk bores. Did your plants die last year?

Seeing your location is so. mn and knowing the amount of rain that's fallen it could be root rot.

It almost looks like you took a picture of my garden except mine are turning yellow also. Looked beautiful a week ago now cukes and tomatoes are not looking so hot. That beetle thing has me wondering about 2 weeks ago picked up half a coffee can of what looked to be stag beetles out of my garden just as I did last year. Don't really see any damage at base of plants but maybe getting roots. There used to be a huge elm tree under where my garden is now but its been removed for at least ten years. Must breed in that thing, they come out of the ground at night from holes about the size of a dime. Hopefully can figure it out soon this is two years in a row. Sucky part is it happens after I admire how great everything is looking.

No issues here .... Yet. And the tree in the background of the previous picture is a black walnut.

IMG_20180626_191942113.jpg

I also have some blight, getting the bad leaves out of there is a good idea. I also spray with a fungicide. 

I was starting to believe it was from being in buckets,  2 years in a row the leaves turn yellow with brown spots and look horrible. Last year dealt with some bottom rot but surprisingly so far the plants look ugly but the maters look good... 

Check the stalk at ground level, it could be cut worm. I've had that problem before I made raised beds. 

37 minutes ago, Grainbelt said:

Check the stalk at ground level, it could be cut worm. I've had that problem before I made raised beds. 

i had issues with cutworms at one point early in my gardening career. someone told me to put ashes from a firepit or fireplace. havent had issues since. just dont go overboard.  

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

i had issues with cutworms at one point early in my gardening career. someone told me to put ashes from a firepit or fireplace. havent had issues since. just dont go overboard.  

What I did was to use 1 gal ice cream bucket with the bottom cut out and placed into the soil a couple inches around the plant as a barrier to keep them away from the tomatoes. Grassy areas next to the garden soil is where they come from.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:27 PM, roony said:

I also have some blight, getting the bad leaves out of there is a good idea.

You could try epsom salt. Google for info. Magnesium deficiency perhaps? I have no blight yet.  

27 minutes ago, Grainbelt said:

You could try epsom salt. Google for info. Magnesium deficiency perhaps? I have no blight yet.  

Thanks, I do use it. I know what blight looks like also. It's been extremely wet here in southern MN.

1 hour ago, Grainbelt said:

O use Epsom salt also when the tomatoes start coming. Also in the cukes. Apparently the minerals in the salt is like steroids to Barry bonds.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, smurfy said:

No issues here .... Yet. And the tree in the background of the previous picture is a black walnut.

IMG_20180626_191942113.jpg

What are you using for Fertilizer?  Those plants are HUGE for this time of year.

I till in Maple leaves and use 10-10-10. I also throw all my used coffee grounds in and things like banana peelings, potatoe peelings, skin from cukes. I think you can figure out.

My stuff looks a little better after a couple warm dry days. Hopefully keeps heading that direction. On the plus side I did pick peas, beans, and two zucchini last night.

12 hours ago, smurfy said:

I till in Maple leaves and use 10-10-10. I also throw all my used coffee grounds in and things like banana peelings, potatoe peelings, skin from cukes. I think you can figure out.

Any blue water?

42 minutes ago, roony said:

Any blue water?

maybe!!!!!!!!😁😜 miricale grow turns the water blue right!!!!!!!!