• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2018 gardens

smurfy

I have a lot this year. My  10 year old grand daughter will be helping me. I am a test gardener for NDSU and she will be picking the trials and judging them in the fall.

Burpee

Seedsnsuch

RH Shumway

Jung

Gurney

Garden Trends

Twilley

Harris

Veseys

Seed Savers

Johnny's

Neseed

Henry Field's

Territorial

Pinetree

Park

Farmer

Edited by KEN W

Go to any of their websites and ask for a catalog. They are all free. Do lots of comparing. Some specialize in certain vegies. Some in others. I order from Jungs pretty much every year. I also order quite a bit from

Pinetree out of Maine. I really don't like having to order large packets with enough seed for a couple years.Pinetree has smaller packets that cost less. So I can order fresh seed every year.

Usually I order 5-6 veg. from NDSU to trial and compare 2 different varieties for .50 a packet.

so anyone got them seeds in starter soil yet??????? i put 20 pepper plants in about 2 1/2 weeks ago. i believe there call margrets sweet hungarian peppers!!!!! i used to do some tomato plants, a few cleome flowers as well as butterfly milkweed flowers, but they seem to do better as "volunteers" come spring in the garden!!!!!!!!

Hey smurf, I planted some of my super hots as early as late January and went from there with the other varieties. All my peppers (about 60) are now up and growing under lights. I'll start my tomatoes in a couple weeks or so. 

2 hours ago, roony said:

Hey smurf, I planted some of my super hots as early as late January and went from there with the other varieties. All my peppers (about 60) are now up and growing under lights. I'll start my tomatoes in a couple weeks or so. 

sweet............so how long does it usually take for them pepper plants to show themselves??????

you must have a sprinkler system set up to keep them all moist!!!!!!!!:D

I start them on my boiler in the shop, it seems to be just the right temperature. I had some jalapeños that were up in three days this year. One to two weeks seems to be the norm.

So I looked at my garden notes, yea I document alot of stuff, last year my garden was tilled 4-23, and I was planting cool weather stuff on 4-29.

This year it might be may 23rd!:(:cry:

2 hours ago, fishingstar said:

I planted my potatoes yesterday.

Has anybody ever add ash from a wood burner to there garden? 

Yea I do but not to much. I don't have to much as it's from a camp fire ring.

I'll probably plant peppers and tomatoes within a week.

Passing on planting onions this year.

Probably put in an eggplant.

Maybe something else will catch my eye at the nursery?

over the weekend planted onions, radishes, kalarabi dill, lettuce, spinach, green peppers and some tomatoes. also planted cilantro and savory!!!!

left on the to plant list is carrots, green beans jalepeno peppers, cabbage, and more mater plants.

Nice clean setup. Like the walk ways.  :)

I grew so many really hot peppers last year I still have enough sauce and powder to start WWIII. :huh:  I'm only going to do a few Jalapeno's this year.  

Is that a dandy lion growing between the rocks?  Wish mine was that well weeded.:blink:

15 tomatoes, 8 cauliflower, 4 brussel sprouts, 150 onions, row of carrots, 30 hills potatoes, 6 cabbage, yellow&green beans, cukes, spinach

8 peppers, radishes, a large old asparagus bed and a patch if rhubarb

Everything looks good now that we had some rain a couple weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Juneau4 said:

Is that a dandy lion growing between the rocks? 

So I show the Old La.........Mrs. Duff the pic and she's like "That pic makes your garden look big.^

Then I show her your comment and the Dandelion Eliminator says "Yea.....that's the first thing I noticed."

You see......outside of Thunderdome it's the Ol......Mrs. Duff's domain.

:)

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I grew so many really hot peppers last year I still have enough sauce and powder to start WWIII. :huh:   

I can only do so many stir fry's and fajita's, I'm a pepper sauce garden guy now.

True story......... I left the Hobbit door open on Thunderdome one night and had deer tracks in there the next day.

20180608_212715.jpg

Duff just curious are those 2 pictures from difference years? Doesn't really matter they both look great.

Showed them to the wife and her first comment was, "why don't you build something like that for my flowers at the lake"? "It wouldn't take you that long".

I have deer problems there too, that's why my veggie garden is at my home residence, the soil is also better.

Edited by Juneau4