• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gander Outdoors in Lakeville

Getanet

Anyone else been to the new Gander Outdoors in Lakeville? I see the company plans to open a few more locations in MN in the near future.

I stopped in on Monday after not being able to get find an Ice Anchor Drill Adapter at Fleet Farm or Dick's Sporting Goods, and was pleasantly surprised. I can't say what exactly was different about it from the previous Gander Mountain store, but something was. It almost seemed bigger, even though it's the exact same space - maybe it was just better organized. The employees were helpful, but not pushy or bothersome. Most importantly, they were fully stocked with ice fishing gear, which really shouldn't be a surprise this time of year. However, the Fleet Farm on the other side of 35W is usually my go-to store for ice fishing equipment and it seems like they are already turning over their inventory to summer fishing. Also, the price at Gander Outdoors for the tool was the same as was listed other places - in the past it seemed like Gander Mountain was always a few bucks more for everything.

I'm still a bit skeptical since I was never in love with Gander Mountain, but it would be nice if Gander Outdoors can make a run of it and have another option besides Fleet Farm down in the South Metro.

43 minutes ago, Getanet said:

I'm still a bit skeptical since I was never in love with Gander Mountain, but it would be nice if Gander Outdoors can make a run of it and have another option besides Fleet Farm down in the South Metro.

I'm not sure keeping Gander in the name was the right move for them.  Its a totally new company and owners (Camping World) and should be a totally new way of running things.  Too many people were turned off of Gander Mountain and keeping Gander in the name is going to have people thinking its the same company just rebranded.  Like you many are going to be skeptical because they didn't like Gander Mountain but this is a totally different company, different leadership, different pricing strategies, different inventory strategies, etc.

Normally you keep part or all of a name when you buy out a successful business that has brand equity.  Gander Mountain had none at the end.

I agree the name "change" is an issue that could complicate things for them. Many people are going to naturally assuming it is just a slightly different twist on Gander Mountain, and as you say, a lot of folks had soured on the company by the end.

Honestly, I just assumed a few execs from Gander Mountain thought they could still make a go of it and tried to bring the old company back with the same old products, just a slightly new name.

So for those who didn't like the old store, it's worth a second look.

Yeah its really worth judging the store on its own merits and forgetting everything that Gander Mountain was.  As far as I know nothing from Gander Mountain still exists although I'm not sure if the Gander Mountain branded gear was part of the sale and if the new company would try to bring any of that back, I kind of doubt it. I do know I got a great deal on a Gander Mountain branded 3 man pop up hunting blind during liquidation though.

If Camping World is a strong well known national brand and they want an offshoot that specializes in other outdoor interests than how about Outdoor World, or World Outdoors.  Then they'd be playing off the equity their existing brand has built up versus trying to rely on the nonexistent equity in the Gander brand.

You know Bobby, I didn't think to look or ask. I didn't hear any shooting, but then again, I never did when it was Gander Mountain so perhaps the range isn't audible to shoppers.  I also didn't look or ask if they still had live bait either.

From what I read in the paper the CEO of Camping World did not think much of the way Gander Mountain ran its gun shop or fishing department. His goal was to run it in a much better fashion and make sure it was stocked with the gear that was right for the area as well as stock if you were heading to another state. The one in Duluth is getting closer to opening so it will be interesting to see how they stock it for Lake Superior.

I stopped in yesterday and checked out the store. It does look better than the old one and much brighter. I did not see any live bait but they may add it later or I just missed it. The range did not look open either but hopefully soon. The firearms area was way better than the old store as well.

I was never a fan of Gander mountain they had a lot of product just all the same product and no variety and pricing was not competitive. i stopped in to the new Gander Outdoors and was very impressed with the different variety of product and the pricing seemed to be good. Gander Outdoors was invested in from the guy who has the TV show the Profit so I am sure it will be a success seen he is a very smart business man and will make it successful. they are still bringing in more product seen they have only been open for about 4 weeks now.

Glad I'm not the only noticing a difference. I still like Fleet Farm, but I think it will be good for them to have a little competition in their backyard again. I'm probably heading back to the Gander store this weekend - have my big, once-a-winter ice fishing trip coming up and even though I don't need anymore gear I feel like I need to spend money on something for it - a few new lures at least.

I thought I heard Baxter would re-open also.  If so, I'll check them out.

I don't think they made a mistake on the naming.  Agreed, Gander 'Mountain' was a liability for a brand name but I'd say 99% of their customer base knows exactly what happened and will be curious enough to check out the new stores.  I hope they do well.  And I'd expect they'll be putting their best pricing foot forward while rolling out the new brand.  It'll have to be to shake the old brand image and get good press like they're getting right here, right now.

5 hours ago, Timber Ghost said:

I was never a fan of Gander mountain they had a lot of product just all the same product and no variety and pricing was not competitive. i stopped in to the new Gander Outdoors and was very impressed with the different variety of product and the pricing seemed to be good. Gander Outdoors was invested in from the guy who has the TV show the Profit so I am sure it will be a success seen he is a very smart business man and will make it successful. they are still bringing in more product seen they have only been open for about 4 weeks now.

I liked the new owns show the Profit.  Very smart guy.  It was fun watching him just staring at people as they would tell him their failed business plan like "Are you really that stupid"  :D

21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Conclusion

Lemonis certainly did not say that anyone who supports or generally agrees with President Trump should not shop at his stores. However, contrary to his own inaccurate descriptions of his CNBC interview, Lemonis did strongly appear to have suggested that anyone who agreed with President Trump’s controversial remarks about the events of 12 August 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia, should not shop at his stores.

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Baxter is still shuttered.

I hope this store has some good pricing. With all the summer folks up in the Brainerd area all summer it's amazing how empty that store was every weekend. I would stop by at least once a summer just to look around and then head over to Fleet for fishing stuff! 

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I hope this store has some good pricing. With all the summer folks up in the Brainerd area all summer it's amazing how empty that store was every weekend. I would stop by at least once a summer just to look around and then head over to Fleet for fishing stuff! 

I would always walk around the old Gander store in Lakeville when I lived there and then head over to Fleet Farm to do all my buying.  However, the last several times I've been to Fleet Farm their inventory was a joke. I had several things I needed to get, some ice fishing and some just standard fishing gear.  Out of the items I needed only a few were actually in stock.  I went over to Joes Sporting Goods which always has good inventory but historically has been a little high on prices but I found their prices only slightly higher than Fleet.  Joe's prices were competitive enough to make me skip Fleet next time and go to Joe's first.  I may spend a buck or two more over the entire purchase but at least I know I can find what I need, find someone that can answer questions if needed, and I'm supporting a good local business as well.