• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting out the birdfeeder again

tacklejunkie

Several years ago a black bear destroyed my birdfeeder and I haven’t fed birds since.

I’m now starting to feed them again and appears black oil sunflower seeds still king.

My wife picked up a block of suet and I’m thinking of putting that out as the Bears should be hibernating.  How important is suet for birds and is there anything that will eat the suet but not eat the black oil sunflower seed?

I mainly see woodpeckers on the suet. Sometimes chickadees, nuthatches, and bluejays. All the birds seem to love the oils. I dont think you have to put out suet, I didnt for many years. I keep it out now cuz once in a while a piliated will hit it and the flying squirrels like it. I also put mealworms out once in a while. Before I put suet out the woodpeckers would eat the oils but with the suet out its rare to see them eat the oils. Nutty butter gets the best action here but try some different kinds to see what your birds prefer. I stay away from millet blended bird food cuz it attracts too many house sparrows. Have fun!

at the cabin I've set out beef tallow and the birds had no problem cleaning that up. we also set out the suet cakes they like them too. within 2 weeks all 4 of the suet feeders are cleaned out. the only seeds we feed up there are the sunflower seed. the flying squirrels, chickadees and various other birds clean them up too. at times we also get them evening and pine grosbeaks........ i think there called.

here in cold spring i am finally seeing birds at the suet feeders, woodpeckers. i also feed sunflowers and sunflowers mixed with safflowers for the cardinals and thistle seeds, those are hit and miss!!!!!!!

Yep, I tried thistle and safflower to discourage squirrels.  Now I just feed sunflower, and lead for the squirrels.  

Bunnies and deer clean up all that they can reach every night, so have to reload the feeders every morning.  I have a low platform and the deck rail, in additon to some tube type feeders.   Fun, since cardinals and jays love the deck rail.  

Now that it’s really cold, I have to refill my sunflowers every day, as the cardinals and chickadees eat it up. Blue jays will eat it too, if I leave it on the tree stumps, unfortunately the squirrels usually get to it first there. Suet cakes have been really popular with the downy woodpeckers lately, but I’m seeing red bellied and pileated woodpeckers also. I bought some  halved peanuts recently, but the feeder I put them in hasn’t seen much action. I have to bring my feeders in every night, otherwise the deer will clean them out. I leave them corn at night. Which, I bring in in the morning, otherwise the squirrels will clean that out!

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

i have them feed on the ground most of the time eating the sunflowers that the other birds make a mess with from the feeders. millet and sparrows are at the neighbors. :) 

They love the mealworms also.

What do you use to feed mealworms?   I have a bag of dried ones, never got much interest.   I'll try again.  Like a flower pot saucer? 

Well, this cold weather has really been bring in the birds. Chickadees, jays, and grosbeaks are the main visitors.

Has anybody ever have Ruffed Grouse come to feeders? I see them in the trees some mornings not far from the feeders but never actually at the feeders themselves

On 1/3/2018 at 4:19 PM, delcecchi said:

Mourning Doves still showing up.... at least as of a couple days ago. 

I’ve also seen mourning doves recently at my feeder. Don’t they fly south for the winter?

Edited by tacklejunkie