• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

rl_sd

Finally getting OUT!!!

Well,

After a less-than-lengthy season last year, and the frustrating freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycles that we have seen through the fall and early winter... I am FINALLY going to get to hit the ice this weekend. I wish that I was going to be sitting in my own wheel- house, but we have decided to rent a shack up on Red instead due to the number of guys going and having a little more room. I have some friends up there now that seem to be picking up a few fish... nothing crazy, but consistent. Anyone been up to Red as of late and care to pass a few tips? The major cold streak and rising pressure has me a bit concerned on how good the fishing will be. We are going up Friday morning and coming back Monday morning and I am thinking that fishing will be slowing down when we get there and picking back up when we leave. Add on top of it all the added traffic, and it may not be a great weekend but we are going to give it a shot none the less. Good luck to everyone ringing in the new year out of the ice!

RL

Good luck will be up there hopping around Saturday morning through Monday. Friends up there doing really good right now. Seems the dead sticks are out producing jigging rods.

8 minutes ago, Hoyt4 said:

Good luck will be up there hopping around Saturday morning through Monday. Friends up there doing really good right now. Seems the dead sticks are out producing jigging rods.

That’s what I have heard as well. Red hooks

The report I just got was ‘not that great’.  31 eyes between 13-17 inches for two days.  The bite was slowing so they moved the house.

Now, I’ll leave that up to the reader to decide if 31 in two days is not that great but I would agree for URL, it’s not.  My wife would probably be happy with it though.

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

My wife would probably be happy with it though.

So, your saying your wife is happy with lower expectations? :grin:

Edited by leech~~

Yeah, it hasn’t been real great. I think we are at about the 30 mark for three days. Was hot on Friday but darn slow yesterday. Things picked up a bit tonight with the full moon

Man it was cold out but we did really good. Deadsticks matched about the same with jigging rods. Shiners seemed to do better on the dead sticks. A lot of fish over the 18 inch mark wish I would of kept better track how many over. Our biggest was 21 with many 20 plus in the mix.

They are healthy and fat morning bite was good both mornings we got out but the evening bite was great. 6 year being on red for the new year. We fished 5 to 7 ft of water on the rocks. If you were off the rocks at all the bite was slower. Portables got a work out in that cold and we got lucky nothing broke.

23 hours ago, Hoyt4 said:

Man it was cold out but we did really good. Deadsticks matched about the same with jigging rods. Shiners seemed to do better on the dead sticks. A lot of fish over the 18 inch mark wish I would of kept better track how many over. Our biggest was 21 with many 20 plus in the mix.

They are healthy and fat morning bite was good both mornings we got out but the evening bite was great. 6 year being on red for the new year. We fished 5 to 7 ft of water on the rocks. If you were off the rocks at all the bite was slower. Portables got a work out in that cold and we got lucky nothing broke.

Great report! I assume you mean the rock pile? I didn't pull my house up, we rented through JR's so we were kind of stuck in one spot. We were about 2 miles out. That would have been a cold mother in a portable, especially with the wind! Where did you stay?

RL

We have a few rocky areas to fish and we only needed to stay on one that weekend in that cold.

Heading up for  a day of fishing on the 21st. Staying in Walker and fishing a few lakes there and getting one day on Red so far the bite has stayed steady with nice perch still coming in .

I would love to make it up there again this year, but with all the kids activities going on I think that I am going to have to stay pretty local

Made it out Sunday ,Meet my dad up there and his group staying till Wednesday i'm really jealous. We headed up from Walker after my buddy's work conference. Started fishing about 2:30 and got lucky to have our limit by 4:15 or so. Was a blast was tough to get fish under for our couple final fish. Most were over 18 but nice and fat. Finally got the last couple and packed up headed back home.

My dad and his group hammered them also and kept only enough for a fish fry that night and headed in to cook and get ready for the game. :(  Most his group fishing with no vex and bobbers still caught around 50 fish for two houses. Good times right now up there if you can go.

27 minutes ago, Hoyt4 said:

Made it out Sunday ,Meet my dad up there and his group staying till Wednesday i'm really jealous. We headed up from Walker after my buddy's work conference. Started fishing about 2:30 and got lucky to have our limit by 4:15 or so. Was a blast was tough to get fish under for our couple final fish. Most were over 18 but nice and fat. Finally got the last couple and packed up headed back home.

My dad and his group hammered them also and kept only enough for a fish fry that night and headed in to cook and get ready for the game. :(  Most his group fishing with no vex and bobbers still caught around 50 fish for two houses. Good times right now up there if you can go.

Which outfitter did they go through?

No outfitter all our own portables or skid houses.

3 hours ago, Hoyt4 said:

What depth were you working. going up there for the first time the end of this week.

The lake is down this year , we fished 5.5 from bottom of ice. Went out of Hillmans