• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kettle grates

1 minute ago, Mike89 said:

I paid $75. to have a SS grate made for my grill, got tired of the old one's rusting...

^ I like the Stainless idea myself. We got them on our latest grill and it was a nice upgrade. Longer lasting and easier to maintain.

Meh, I've never had the urge to spend much on a grill grate. Like Del said, usually the genuine Weber grates last a long time and even if you do want to eventually replace it you can probably get one for under $20. 

If I were going to get one though, I would do a custom stainless steel one.

king of the grill.jpg

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Cool cast iron...  What's the matter with the stock grates?   Never had one rust out even.  

Nothing wrong with them del, have had two in the past twenty years but have doing a lot of cooking lately with cast with great results. My big charcoal unit has porcelain coated grates which work well but the grill only hits a max of 350 or so (unless i use whole bag of coals).

That's the thing, cast runs hot and stays hot ,great for searing but needs attention..

57 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Meh, I've never had the urge to spend much on a grill grate. Like Del said, usually the genuine Weber grates last a long time and even if you do want to eventually replace it you can probably get one for under $20. 

If I were going to get one though, I would do a custom stainless steel one.

king of the grill.jpg

I like it big d!!! Where did you find that?

53 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

ya have to cook on the grill to get it to maybe rust, not in a plastic bag in water!!!!!

Had a kettle around for many years, cooked often both home and cabin.  Never had a grate burn out.  That was my experience.  

175 for a cast iron grate for a Weber Kettle just seems to be gilding the lily.   And my experience in BWCA with cast iron grates is that they take forever to get hot.    

I'll keep what I have, but will be interested in your experience. 

28 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

I like it big d!!! Where did you find that?

I just did an internet search but I didn't find as many as I thought there would be. I was looking for a Crimson Tide one but only found one for a square gas grill. :D

I know of a company locally that does metal work that I'm sure would make me one if I wanted it. I have no idea what they may charge me though....:sick:

Anyone with a laser could do it I'm sure.

There's always the Grill Beast too....

https://shop.grillbeast.com/products/beastgrate

grill beast.jpg

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Had a kettle around for many years, cooked often both home and cabin.  Never had a grate burn out.  That was my experience.  

175 for a cast iron grate for a Weber Kettle just seems to be gilding the lily.   And my experience in BWCA with cast iron grates is that they take forever to get hot.    

I'll keep what I have, but will be interested in your experience. 

I have had 2 set of Weber grates rust on one grill.  the grill is good other wise so I got SS..  it's aQ1000...

Edited by Mike89

5 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Thinking of adding some cast iron to the weber.  But I'm having a hard time forking over a buck fifty for grates.. Any thoughts?

Resized_Screenshot_20171208-211610.jpeg

Just spend some of that money ya got and go get one!:grin:

I like the one you have in the picture Bobberineyes. The grates raise on the sides for adding charcoal and wood. I would think a shot of Pam after things cool would keep the grates from rusting too bad, like you would a cast iron pan.  They are  $150 on their site, a little too  steep for sear marks for me. 

If your not going for looks, but for cast iron cooking,  get some rectangular ones and just set them on the factory grate. With a little patience you may even be able to find some for free. Landfills usually have many grills setting in the metal pile. That's how I got mine.:D

Thanks for the responses gents, I like the thought of hot grates and longer lasting heat on long cooks. Just not sure which way I'll go, Amazon has a 5 pc set up 4 removable grates and the ring for 95 + shipping. At certain times it might be good for a grate or two out of the way instead of the ends stood up...

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

for the amount of grillin and smoming you do i would venture to think it would be a worth while investment on your part!!!!!!!

oh and it could go something like this................look honey i got you a valentines gift early!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Ok. I have heard of Suess Verde but what in the world is smoming?

I tried Google but the only hit I got linked back to your post.

smoming is the boar...........boaranze language for smoking!!!!!!!! ya see ole boar had issues wit his fat fingers getting it write!!!!!!!!!!:crazy:

28 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

thats funny!!  way to go Glenn!!!!

:D:D

Edited by smurfy

34 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

thats funny!!  way to go Glenn!!!!

It was a misspelling of "smoking" by a user on another site posting from his phone with fat fingers.   See also "boaranese"  :P  

That site is frequented by exiles and deplorables