• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics...

rl_sd

So, like a large portion of you die hards out there - I have yet to set foot on hard water this year. This translates into late nights watching YouTube videos of tactics, techniques, and tackle. In thhe majority of the lakes I have been fishing over the past few years, perch have been the predominately target species. The best and worse thing that I have done is bought a camera. The good of the camera is that it keeps the kids entertained.... the bad of a camera is the frustration that it gives you when fish just don't want to bite. I have tried throwing different shapes, colors and sizes of jigs to no avail. I have work them fast, worked them slow... and have not worked them at all and still can't seem to trigger the little bastards to bite. Full minnows, minnow heads, spikes, waxies... I have tried all combinations on the tough days and just can't seem to trigger them to bite. So after hours of IDO, Jason Mitchell, and all the others - there is one thing that has been somewhat constant when fishing the same/similar lakes that I fish for perch and that is use of plastics. So.... this is going to be the year that I add an additional trick in the tool bag... but I am not sure what brand, size, shape, etc. On the Tube, they all say "match the forage".... but I really can't remember the last time that I say a may fly or blood worm swim past the camera. Any thoughts on brands, sizes, etc? I almost pulled the trigger on this:

(http://www.cabelas.com/product/NORTHLAND-IMPULSE-PC-MICRO-HARDWATER-KIT/2581719.uts?slotId=3

But figured that I would ask around here first...

I'm a huge user of plastics myself.  I switched over to using plastics a few years ago and now I use them on about 95% of my time on the ice.  I'd recommend taking a look at Clam's Maki plastics line-up.  The Jamei and Bloodi have been excellent perch plastics for me.  I've also had luck with Northland's Impulse Water Flea and J and S Custom Jigs plastics.  The GoJo and back half of the Versamite are great on perch.  Also look at the Chigger Fry from Panfish Plastics.  These are all good choices to look at.  Biggest thing with plastics is to have confidence in them.  Get on a hot bite and switch from meat to plastics and see how well they work. 

I bought something similar after watching all the Jason Mitchell Outdoors shows.  I only had a chance to try them once on a farm pond where I could drill holes from an all season dock.  We didn't catch anything, but it was nice to have something since nobody was stocked w/ waxies in town yet.

Also I put most of the blame on not being able to move to find the active fish.  Haven't had the courage to venture out off the dock yet.  I'm also interested in how everyone else has done w/ plastics.

51 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

chasing perch on cass last year we did well with the black impulse mayfly on a 4 mm tungsten jig.  Lotta fish like those mayflies. Emerald is another color that everything eats. 

Cass huh? My dad spends a week on cass in the summer and would love to hit it up in the winter. 

3 hours ago, Scott O. said:

I'm a huge user of plastics myself.  I switched over to using plastics a few years ago and now I use them on about 95% of my time on the ice.  I'd recommend taking a look at Clam's Maki plastics line-up.  The Jamei and Bloodi have been excellent perch plastics for me.  I've also had luck with Northland's Impulse Water Flea and J and S Custom Jigs plastics.  The GoJo and back half of the Versamite are great on perch.  Also look at the Chigger Fry from Panfish Plastics.  These are all good choices to look at.  Biggest thing with plastics is to have confidence in them.  Get on a hot bite and switch from meat to plastics and see how well they work. 

Thanks Scott! That is the exact info that I was looking for. Sounds like I am better off using the local bait shops and picking up a few packs of everything nbefore committing to one brand. 

For the life of me i cant catch a fish unless i have meat on the hook.  I have never caught a fish in the summer or winter on plastics only.  I watch all of the outdoor shows and get suckered in to trying them.  I might have to try the clam products for the ice as it looks like they show some promise for Jason Mitchel.

a big key to get used to using plastics is to present them in different strokes and find out the mood of the fish...you cant have a plastic just sit still and you don't want plastic to spin on the end of your line.  I have used plastics of all kinds and for me personally the 3 big factors are placement on hook, limpness of line/no coils to create spinning, and movement of the bait.  I use plastics winter and summer and never fish without them.  Yes sometimes I need to use some live bait but more often than not I am straight plastic for panfish.  In the winter if I feel the need to tip a plastic I do so only with a euro larvae but that is rare.  Good luck.  if at first you have troubles have something rigged up and when you are on a good bite switch to the plastic and gain confidence and you will love it when you don't have to rebait after every bite!

Edited by ozzie

20 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Cass huh? My dad spends a week on cass in the summer and would love to hit it up in the winter. 

Thanks Scott! That is the exact info that I was looking for. Sounds like I am better off using the local bait shops and picking up a few packs of everything nbefore committing to one brand. 

No problem rl_sd.  Most brands these days have good plastics.  It's all about confidence.  But yeah, Maki, J and S, and Panfish Plastics are my favs.  Look for them in the stores, though J and S is a smaller outfit and may need to check out 8mybait.com to buy them, but it's worth it to have a few of his plastics in your arsenal.  Red, pink, and chartreuse are my favorite plastics colors.

Plastics can take a while to learn thats for sure. 2 years ago I started and really struggled. Before that I was mostly euros and some waxies.  Couple guys kept bugging me that I need to just stick with them to get confidence in them. Last winter I used them 95% of the time. :)  That bait never sits still.  Used the red powerbait wishbone today with a 4mm gold widowmaker dropper and the gills loved it. First time with that one. Keeping the bait horizontal and not spinning helps. 

1222b.jpg

If you can, watch how different plastics react to different jigging motions on an underwater camera. And how the fish react. Speeds up the learning process.

It will also show you where you want the loop of the knot on eyelet to get the bait to hang the way you want it. 

Plastics can be a lot of fun and very productive at times. You will know when you've "Got it"....... when you are outfishing your buddies that are using bait.

I still use bait though, meat can be hard to pass up at times.

I've found that scented plastics, which really aren't plastic at all work the best. Those that are actually plastic, I add scent to as I fish them.

As far as knots go, a simple loop knot will increase the time your bait is in the water. Keeps your bait horizontal if things balance out right....

Edited by Tom Sawyer