Jump to content
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
huntnfish

Old Double barrel

Recommended Posts

I have an old Damascus barreled shotgun that was passed on to me by my grandpa. The story I have always heard and been told is that it was brought over from Denmark by my great grandfather in 1915. It has no markings indicating where it was made or anything else that I could use to figure out some history on the gun. It is a pin fire and has a stag carved into the underside of the stock. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find any info on this? I had thought about bringing it to Cabelas and see if they knew anything about it. I'm not concerned about the value. I'd just like to know a little more about it or even get pointed in the right direction. 

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be better off trying to do some research on your own on the old shotgun. I think it would be a waste of time taking it to Cabela's since most of the folks  who work there now think  any gun made before 1970 is an antique.

The gun surely is made in Europe and might have originated in one of the English or Belgian or even German "guild" shops, little outfits that cranked out inexpensive guns that did not even bear maker's names since they were made by a "bunch" of guys. Your best bet would be to trace or photograph the proof marks and go from there.  That is,  I'm assuming it has proof marks :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ufatz said:

You might be better off trying to do some research on your own on the old shotgun. I think it would be a waste of time taking it to Cabela's since most of the folks  who work there now think  any gun made before 1970 is an antique.

The gun surely is made in Europe and might have originated in one of the English or Belgian or even German "guild" shops, little outfits that cranked out inexpensive guns that did not even bear maker's names since they were made by a "bunch" of guys. Your best bet would be to trace or photograph the proof marks and go from there.  That is,  I'm assuming it has proof marks :).

I didn't figure anyone at cabelas would be any help. I have scoured the gun and haven't ever been able to find any markings of any kind. I forgot to mention in the previous post that it's a 16 gauge. 

If nothing else, it'll look cool hanging over my basement bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures?

I cant see them either but I am imagining its a pretty cool looking gun :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Take it to that pawn shop in Las Vegas. They will bring in an expert to tell you it's history,give you a low ball offer once they find out and then you can just walk. :grin:

Never thought about that. Then I could just double the offer and know what it's worth. 

50 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I cant see them either but I am imagining its a pretty cool looking gun :)

I can see the pictures? I'll try loading them again to see if they show up

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see them now. that thing is a beauty love the details on that stock.

Would love to carry that through a field and hope for a true double. How awesome would that be with your Grandpa's gun. Then again I would hate to scratch it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble would be finding the pinfire shells for it. And then finding someone to take the first shot with it. There are a couple other things that don't function correctly either. One of the hammers doesn't stay cocked. It's a decent looking gun though. I'm very surprised that the stock doesn't have any dings or scratches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DON'T even think about shooting this gun. Leave it as is and hang it on the wall.  Maybe put a little plaque with it identifying it as "Granpa's gun" and the dates of his time on earth. My guess is the gun was fired very few times after he arrived in this country.

Hang it up-don't BLOW it up!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I wouldn't attempt to shoot that gun but it is extremely cool!

I would probably take it to a few larger gun shops and see if anyone can give you any info on it just so you know what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, huntnfish said:

Never thought about that. Then I could just double the offer and know what it's worth. 

I can see the pictures? I'll try loading them again to see if they show up

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

That is a thing of beauty. I am speechless and if you know me........:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@huntnfish

If you haven’t found another route to go for info, try calling Boone’s Fine Guns in Isle.  No guarantees they’ll know about that beauty but they could know a good resource for you to contact.

I’ve never seen the selection they have anywhere else before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@huntnfish

If you haven’t found another route to go for info, try calling Boone’s Fine Guns in Isle.  No guarantees they’ll know about that beauty but they could know a good resource for you to contact.

I’ve never seen the selection they have anywhere else before.

I've never been to Boone's but I would think that Ahlman's Gun Shop down by Waterville might be similar and another possible resource.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I've never been to Boone's but I would think that Ahlman's Gun Shop down by Waterville might be similar and another possible resource.

I’ve never been to Ahlman’s but by the looks of their page, yah, probably a great resource too.

Boone’s is similar in respects to offerings and massive showroom layout but I don’t think they have the gunsmithing depth of Ahlman’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun. To me it has the look of an an inexpensive German gun. I still say your best bet might be research on your own. Check the time period for pin-fires and common makers of that time. But without ANY kind of proof marks it is going to be tough sledding. If a gun has NO markings, not even PROOF markings, it is really at the bottom of the heap. Heck, it might even have been something made right down the street from where you grandfather lived!! :)

Hang it-Don't bang it!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun. To me it has the look of an an inexpensive German gun. I still say your best bet might be research on your own. Check the time period for pin-fires and common makers of that time. But without ANY kind of proof marks it is going to be tough sledding. If a gun has NO markings, not even PROOF markings, it is really at the bottom of the heap. Heck, it might even have been something made right down the street from where you grandfather lived!! :)

Hang it-Don't bang it!!!

I'll have to take another look and see if I can find any kind of markings that I've maybe missed. It won't ever get fired in my lifetime. I am hoping to find a couple old pin fire shells to display alongside it. I really doubt the gun has any "real" value and agree that it's probably an inexpensive gun. It will look good hanging over my bar in the basement though. 

Thanks all for the recommendations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun.

 

5 minutes ago, huntnfish said:

I'll have to take another look and see if I can find any kind of markings that I've maybe missed.

Yeah but it is worth a shot to take it somewhere and try to talk to an expert about it. They may know where to look for some proof marks or something that the rest of us may miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Both shops that were suggested about a couple hundred miles from me so it'll be a when in area thing and that's if I remember and/or have room for the gun when I'm heading that direction. I may try post the pictures on other sites but I'm not very excited about advertising what I've got for guns. 

 

I really appreciate all the info info and insight. Like I said before, I'm more interested in finding some sort of background or history on the gun. I'm not looking for what it's worth because it's not something that's going to be sold in my lifetime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, huntnfish said:

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Both shops that were suggested about a couple hundred miles from me so it'll be a when in area thing and that's if I remember and/or have room for the gun when I'm heading that direction. I may try post the pictures on other sites but I'm not very excited about advertising what I've got for guns. 

 

I really appreciate all the info info and insight. Like I said before, I'm more interested in finding some sort of background or history on the gun. I'm not looking for what it's worth because it's not something that's going to be sold in my lifetime. 

Are you on Facebook? I don't know what they are but I'm sure there are some groups there that could help you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could call them and send pics if they’re willing to consult you.  They’re into guns, they might wanna know more too.

Nothing to lose by asking.

Besides, now you’ve got all us on edge too. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there no stamped names or numbers on the gun at all to get more info?  Try looking under the barrel once you open it or if you can take it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Thanks big d, I wanna give it a shot as well!!
    • The recipe I sort of followed said to cook it for 15-17 minutes at 350 but it took about 25-30 minutes to get the potatoes done even though I sliced them thin.   It's worth a try. We do a shrimp boil sometimes when we go camping with a group. I do it in the turkey pot and follow the recipe from Old Bay seasoning w-e-b-s-i-t-e except I like to add some chicken as well. It is very good and everyone loves it. 
    • How long and what temp did you cook this? Looks really good I want to give it a try now.
    • Chops, brats, asparagus, onions and mushrooms in the foil and a little Malbec
    • Shrimp boil in foil packets on the pellet grill. Potatoes, corn, Andouille sausage, shrimp, lemon slices, butter and Cajun seasoning. I usually use some Old Bay in my shrimp boil but I was out and didn't know it until I started putting it all together.      
    • Hello from Sunset Lodge!

      In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.
       
      In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.
       
      Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge
    • Looks like a great summer time meal! 
    • That was my wife taking a Snapchat vid of the kids, my daughter took that picture..  steak night is probably my favorite night, but taco night is a close second lol
    • At the all-star break and man did I blow it with the predictions lol.   Other than Rosario and Escobar not really much to get too excited about.   Nice home-stand before the break but its already been a big disappointing season. Of all the late 90''s  teams that were just awful and then the recent  90+ loss teams repeatedly over and over, this years team has to be the most frustrating of them all. Definitely a regression.   Buxton/Sano I dont want the team to give up on them but good grief. After some progress last year I think everyone was expected big things from both of them. I would say give up on them but players like these always go on to shine somewhere else when the Twins let them go.   Mauer has been ok, nothing great but good to see him back hitting again after his stint on the DL.   Morrison dug himself too big of hole to get out of with a terrible start at the plate. A few signs of power but not enough.   Dozier is losing millions with a bad first half. So much for him signing a big deal somewhere else and the Twins getting something for him if he is traded.   The new pitchers Odorizzi and Lynn haven't been great. Gibson has been better than expected but too bad he cant get any run support he has pitched well all year. I like Berrios, good young pitcher still making improvement. Its too bad Santana hasn't been able to get back up and contribute yet.   I hope they don't make any foolish decisions and trade and try to make a run. They don't have a chance at the wild card and even though Cleveland isn't completely dominating I don't see the Twins overtaking them in the division.
×