• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Double barrel

I have an old Damascus barreled shotgun that was passed on to me by my grandpa. The story I have always heard and been told is that it was brought over from Denmark by my great grandfather in 1915. It has no markings indicating where it was made or anything else that I could use to figure out some history on the gun. It is a pin fire and has a stag carved into the underside of the stock. Anyone have any ideas on where I could find any info on this? I had thought about bringing it to Cabelas and see if they knew anything about it. I'm not concerned about the value. I'd just like to know a little more about it or even get pointed in the right direction. 

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

You might be better off trying to do some research on your own on the old shotgun. I think it would be a waste of time taking it to Cabela's since most of the folks  who work there now think  any gun made before 1970 is an antique.

The gun surely is made in Europe and might have originated in one of the English or Belgian or even German "guild" shops, little outfits that cranked out inexpensive guns that did not even bear maker's names since they were made by a "bunch" of guys. Your best bet would be to trace or photograph the proof marks and go from there.  That is,  I'm assuming it has proof marks :).

1 hour ago, Ufatz said:

You might be better off trying to do some research on your own on the old shotgun. I think it would be a waste of time taking it to Cabela's since most of the folks  who work there now think  any gun made before 1970 is an antique.

The gun surely is made in Europe and might have originated in one of the English or Belgian or even German "guild" shops, little outfits that cranked out inexpensive guns that did not even bear maker's names since they were made by a "bunch" of guys. Your best bet would be to trace or photograph the proof marks and go from there.  That is,  I'm assuming it has proof marks :).

I didn't figure anyone at cabelas would be any help. I have scoured the gun and haven't ever been able to find any markings of any kind. I forgot to mention in the previous post that it's a 16 gauge. 

If nothing else, it'll look cool hanging over my basement bar. 

3 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Take it to that pawn shop in Las Vegas. They will bring in an expert to tell you it's history,give you a low ball offer once they find out and then you can just walk. :grin:

Never thought about that. Then I could just double the offer and know what it's worth. 

50 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I cant see them either but I am imagining its a pretty cool looking gun :)

I can see the pictures? I'll try loading them again to see if they show up

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

I can see them now. that thing is a beauty love the details on that stock.

Would love to carry that through a field and hope for a true double. How awesome would that be with your Grandpa's gun. Then again I would hate to scratch it.

The trouble would be finding the pinfire shells for it. And then finding someone to take the first shot with it. There are a couple other things that don't function correctly either. One of the hammers doesn't stay cocked. It's a decent looking gun though. I'm very surprised that the stock doesn't have any dings or scratches. 

DON'T even think about shooting this gun. Leave it as is and hang it on the wall.  Maybe put a little plaque with it identifying it as "Granpa's gun" and the dates of his time on earth. My guess is the gun was fired very few times after he arrived in this country.

Hang it up-don't BLOW it up!  :)

11 hours ago, huntnfish said:

Never thought about that. Then I could just double the offer and know what it's worth. 

I can see the pictures? I'll try loading them again to see if they show up

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

That is a thing of beauty. I am speechless and if you know me........:lol:

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@huntnfish

If you haven’t found another route to go for info, try calling Boone’s Fine Guns in Isle.  No guarantees they’ll know about that beauty but they could know a good resource for you to contact.

I’ve never seen the selection they have anywhere else before.

I've never been to Boone's but I would think that Ahlman's Gun Shop down by Waterville might be similar and another possible resource.

16 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I've never been to Boone's but I would think that Ahlman's Gun Shop down by Waterville might be similar and another possible resource.

I’ve never been to Ahlman’s but by the looks of their page, yah, probably a great resource too.

Boone’s is similar in respects to offerings and massive showroom layout but I don’t think they have the gunsmithing depth of Ahlman’s.

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun. To me it has the look of an an inexpensive German gun. I still say your best bet might be research on your own. Check the time period for pin-fires and common makers of that time. But without ANY kind of proof marks it is going to be tough sledding. If a gun has NO markings, not even PROOF markings, it is really at the bottom of the heap. Heck, it might even have been something made right down the street from where you grandfather lived!! :)

Hang it-Don't bang it!!!

3 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun. To me it has the look of an an inexpensive German gun. I still say your best bet might be research on your own. Check the time period for pin-fires and common makers of that time. But without ANY kind of proof marks it is going to be tough sledding. If a gun has NO markings, not even PROOF markings, it is really at the bottom of the heap. Heck, it might even have been something made right down the street from where you grandfather lived!! :)

Hang it-Don't bang it!!!

I'll have to take another look and see if I can find any kind of markings that I've maybe missed. It won't ever get fired in my lifetime. I am hoping to find a couple old pin fire shells to display alongside it. I really doubt the gun has any "real" value and agree that it's probably an inexpensive gun. It will look good hanging over my bar in the basement though. 

Thanks all for the recommendations! 

3 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Regardless where you take it, without proof marks of some kind it will be extremely difficult for ANYBODY to state with certainty WHO made the shotgun.

5 minutes ago, huntnfish said:

I'll have to take another look and see if I can find any kind of markings that I've maybe missed.

Yeah but it is worth a shot to take it somewhere and try to talk to an expert about it. They may know where to look for some proof marks or something that the rest of us may miss.

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Both shops that were suggested about a couple hundred miles from me so it'll be a when in area thing and that's if I remember and/or have room for the gun when I'm heading that direction. I may try post the pictures on other sites but I'm not very excited about advertising what I've got for guns. 

I really appreciate all the info info and insight. Like I said before, I'm more interested in finding some sort of background or history on the gun. I'm not looking for what it's worth because it's not something that's going to be sold in my lifetime. 

41 minutes ago, huntnfish said:

I will definitely keep everyone posted. Both shops that were suggested about a couple hundred miles from me so it'll be a when in area thing and that's if I remember and/or have room for the gun when I'm heading that direction. I may try post the pictures on other sites but I'm not very excited about advertising what I've got for guns. 

I really appreciate all the info info and insight. Like I said before, I'm more interested in finding some sort of background or history on the gun. I'm not looking for what it's worth because it's not something that's going to be sold in my lifetime. 

Are you on Facebook? I don't know what they are but I'm sure there are some groups there that could help you out.