• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We could be riding the nsst

LoonASea

2 minutes ago, LoonASea said:

Leech just remember that Trainwreck feels like a bowling ball in your stomach when you head back out on the trail ,,, Thats fine if the trail is smooth ,,, a real B@tch if its kinda bumpy

I may head to Wisc if the snow heads east during this next snowfall

Ok, well without the casualties then! ;)

2 hours ago, LoonASea said:

Great day today riding the NSST ,,, Freshly groomed trail,,,, comfortable temps ,,,, small group ,,,few other sleds on the trail,,,, good burger at the trestle ,,, 145 miles and no body aches ,,, life is good 

Sounds like a great time.

Our day was ok as well, but different!  First time Ice fishing with my son in about 10 years. Still got to use the sled but hope to hit the trails yet some where this winter. :)

IMG_3104.JPG

Headed out from the house Sunday morning and put on 50 miles.  

Looped south from Cloquet then west and back around.  Trails need snow to say the least.  Not another sled on the trails so that was nice but had to keep an eye out for rocks/sticks.

Also had 3 turkeys run across the trail right in front of me, I had design's on the last one, but braked at the last minute.  I had visions of fresh turkey in the smoker LOL.

With another warm up late this week and no snow, not sure if they will be rideable next weekend or not til we get more white stuff.  Felt good to get a few miles on anyway.

17 minutes ago, LoonASea said:

OK You got 14 inches of snow and your posting on here instead of out riding ,,,, Not going to listen to any complaining about not getting any miles on the sled 

Yeah, well the cops may not be to happy if they find me running up and down the streets!  :lol:

Switched direction today and rode the Taconite ,,, Unloaded just off 53 north of Virginia and headed west ,,, Picked up the Bear Skin to Cook and then the Wolf Track to the South Switch for lunch ,,,, Headed south and picked up the Taconite again ,,, Things got kinda slushy and lots of clicking on the trail ,,, Put a quick 129 miles on today and unless we get some good snow I am done riding for a while 

Hope you guys in the snow belt from mondays snow enjoy it ,,,, Lots of sleds on trailers heading north as I made my way home 

Edited by LoonASea

2 hours ago, LoonASea said:

Switched direction today and rode the Taconite ,,, Unloaded just off 53 north of Virginia and headed west ,,, Picked up the Bear Skin to Cook and then the Wolf Track to the South Switch for lunch ,,,, Headed south and picked up the Taconite again ,,, Things got kinda slushy and lots of clicking on the trail ,,, Put a quick 129 miles on today and unless we get some good snow I am done riding for a while

Hope you guys in the snow belt from mondays snow enjoy it ,,,, Lots of sleds on trailers heading north as I made my way home

Glad you got another long day in before this all turns to shat! I'll be running around in the slush again fishing this weekend.

Got another good ride in yesterday ,,, Almost took the same route as the last time I did the Tac but took a wrong turn and put on a few extra miles but still and enjoyable ride ,,, Had lunch at Side Lake and then headed out to the Bearskin trail ,,, Nice trail flat, straight and fast ,, A little too fast for a sled not completely broke in yet any way ,,, I think every one enjoyed the ride and trail conditions ,,, As I type the snow is falling and Im sure trail conditions are improving 

1 hour ago, Surface Tension said:

"A little too fast for a sled not completely broke in yet any way"

For what the new POO Axys or the 2003 Cat?

Very low miles on an old sled is good but sitting idle for years is no good.

Dirty carbs and or rust on the bearings was the Cats downfall.

Well you must be talking about my old-New Cat? ;)

Tore it down and found a finger tight head bolt and loose carb boot bolt!  Someone at the Cat plant went to lunch a little early!! :(

The cylinder is in the shop right now so it may be back on the lake fishing anyway yet this year?  High speed trails. May be not?

Got out for another good ride while the snow lasts ,,, Launched out of the Martin Rd lot and was surprised to find the trails freshly groomed from the nite before,,, Had lunch at the Pequaywam inn  and then headed to Brimson ,,, Another freshly groomed trail ,,, Hooked up on the Yukon down to the NSST ,,, and another freshly groomed trail ,,, Hope we get the snow forecasted for early next week as with the sun hitting the trails they wont hold up well over the weekend ,,,Ride while you can !!!!

I just got back from up north on the Range. Put on 350 plus miles by myself and saw very few sleds on the trail. Trails were a little rough early in the week but after that I rode a lot of miles putting the first tracks on freshly groomed trails. Stopped and talked to a guy riding on the trail and turned out he was the one that groomed it the night before. Said it finally got cold enough to groom as it was to wet and sticky and would ball up. He described it as balling up and making snowmen and then they would fall off onto the trail. Also told me something I didn't know and will check with our club to verify it. MN has 22000 miles of snowmobile trails. The DNR takes care of 1000 miles of grooming yet get 65% of the money and the snowmobile clubs get the rest to take care of 21000 miles. Isnt that the way government usually works? Either way if your a snowmobiler think about joining a club. Its cheap and the sport needs it. I will be joining there club to even though I don't get up there much.

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

I joined a club also, (palisade supersledders) need to help out as much as we can if we expect good trails. I rode today, just got to warm, the trails were nice, but my 137 wasn't getting enough snow dust for cooling, it was overheating. ditch and lake riding it was fine.

Going to be warm and trails are going to get beat up this weekend. Some cooler temps at night might help firm them up and be able to groom but it isn't going to last long at this rate. I'm resting up for a few days then headed to LOW for a few days of riding and fishing. Usually my last ride of the year.

Looking at the forecast,,,, Im thinking my riding season is just about over,,,, Got out and rode the Wisc trails around the Siren,, Webster area ,,, 8 inches of fresh snow was nice on the groomed trails ,,, some trails did not get groomed and we ended up breaking trail ,,, fun day but a short ride 

1 hour ago, LoonASea said:

Looking at the forecast,,,, Im thinking my riding season is just about over,,,, Got out and rode the Wisc trails around the Siren,, Webster area ,,, 8 inches of fresh snow was nice on the groomed trails ,,, some trails did not get groomed and we ended up breaking trail ,,, fun day but a short ride 

Well it sounds like even with the low snow this year that you put on some good miles anyway. 

I got my motor back together and have put on about 30 miles of slow breaking in riding. Was out on a lake last weekend with some pretty good snow depth and pulling the porty and she ran pretty nice. Going to hopefully get the grand kids out this Sat for a short ride in the "Monster Hauler"  which we have waited all winter to do, before it's all gone again.  Hopefully the new top end job will break in well and I'll be riding up there next winter again.  :)

IMG_3128.JPG

Edited by leech~~

Was up on LOW for 4 days and the snowmobile trails were in nice shape. Put on about 200 miles including a ride up to the NW Angle and back. Fishing was tougher than usual and the ice is thick. Probably get better when the snow melts and get a little more light penetration down there. 

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG