• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another speaker question

Cooperman

I have a 4 channel car stereo, that I installed in my wheelhouse. I only hooked up 2 speakers, the 2 fronts. I’m not much of a music person, more for news/ weather. 

The problem is it sounds like dump, no bass, all treble. Is that because I don’t have the other 2 speaker connected? Can all the speakers be the same kind or does a different type speaker need to be connected to the other channels.

don’t have much stereo knowledge, so any help would be appreciated.

Could also be the speaker... if you installled just a tweeter, then you aren’t going to get any bass. You want a two or three way speaker to give you the full range.  As mentioned... it could also be the radio setting

adding a cheap bass cannon would help for sure. make sure you connect your wires correctly plus to plus from speaker to stereo, usually the copper colored wire or the wire that has a white strip on it is used for the positive, this helps you so you do correctly connect the speaker to the amp or radio. Right to right left out to left. Check balance setting on radio, check treb and bass setting start off at 50% and raise your bass setting while lowering your treb setting. I like a lot of bass so I am usually at 80% bass and 50% treb. Check to make sure you don't have cracked covers on your speaker's. You can also make small speaker boxes to put your speakers in and pack them loosely with insulation to give you more bass and direct your music out the front, if you are a little handy making a box.  Ya I have played around with speakers I have my entire house wired and the last time I counted 19 speakers in my place not counting another 10 for two surround sound systems.

Edited by Bobby Bass

If you're rolling with 4 and a half inch car speakers which seem pretty standard for wheelhouses, you're just not gonna get much for bass out of the things, especially if they are el cheapos.  Which also seems pretty standard for wheelhouses.

I don't own a wheelhouse, but for the portable, the boat, the garage, etc, I use a Bluetooth speaker.  Lasts all day on a charge and puts out pretty rich sound for $100.

Edited by bobbymalone

If your speakers can take the wattage, depending on how your radio is setup you can also double up channels and run two to each speaker.  That will increase the wattage coming from the built in amp.  Another thing to look at would be a 40 dollar motorcycle amplifier.  Very cheap and easy to setup and they can really increase the volume and bass over some lower end car stereos.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:23 PM, Cooperman said:

I’m not much of a music person, more for news/ weather. 

I used to have the same kind of setup, it uses quite a bit of battery to run it. Especially when liquor is added and the volume goes up. I now use a portable radio and AA batteries. Works good enough. This year I have one of my kids old Ipod loaded up with music and one of those bluetooth rechargable speakers. Good for places without much radio station choices.