• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The couple

eyeguy 54

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

lottsa action at the nutty butter today.  I put some deer fat in another feeder and it gets hit but nothing like this one. Had 3 crows on it a couple days ago. lol

125b.jpg

On a city forum that I am on a gal on there keeps her suet in the plastic packaging and just pulls the front wrap off. I made a joke how the squirrels in my yard would chew the plastic and all as they eat more of the suet than anything else. I tried it on the last one and now only the peckers can get at it and I have a lot more of them using it, and it has lasted about 3 times longer!

I was Wrong and had to tell her! :(  :grin:

Edited by leech~~

For all good quality tails we pay the following:

• Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails
    • 16 ¢ each — under 100
    • 19 ¢ each — over 100
    • 21 ¢ each — over 500
    • 22 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Premium Tails
    • 20 ¢ each — under 100
    • 23 ¢ each — over 100
    • 25 ¢ each — over 500
    • 26 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Red Squirrel Tails (Hair at the base of the tail must be at least 1" long)
    • 8 ¢ each — under 100
    • 9 ¢ each — over 100
    • 10 ¢ each — over 500
    • 11 ¢ each — over 1000

Plus, you can double the value of your tails by exchanging them for Mepps lures. Call 800-237-9877 or e-mail [email protected] to place your order or get more details. No other discounts or special offers apply.

I heard about this from a friend a few years ago so I started saving them and keeping in freezer in basement. Had 50 or so then saw that I could get hardly anything so chucked them. Wife didnt really like the baggies of fur anyways... LOL  

Generally fly tiers much prefer squirrel tail hair.  There are several long standing patterns that use squirrel but  I don't recall ever hearing anybody talk about raccoon tails. The body fur might be useful as dubbing material but there are too many other options to make it worth the trouble.  I doubt anybody would find possum fur of value as a fly tying material,   but then I'm no expert.

And I know nothing about making spinning lures and have never sold a pelt to any fishing tackle company.  Squirrels are my pals.

Yes, I know that. But the squirrel tail is the best material for jigs. My intent was to let you know the PREFERRED material for tying. It would also be the PREFERRED material for tying jigs. Marabou would also make dynamite jigs but would not be as durable.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, Ufatz said:

Yes, I know that. But the squirrel tail is the best material for jigs. My intent was to let you know the PREFERRED material for tying. It would also be the PREFERRED material for tying jigs. Marabou would also make dynamite jigs but would not be as durable.

And there isn't free maribou in my back yard...:lol:

gotta get the vise out and wax up the thread.....