• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire Pressure On a Wheel House

Hawg

This seems like a simple question but still confuses me. My radial tires say 2540 lbs max load at 65 lbs pressure. My house weighs 4450 lbs. Should I run them at max pressure of 65 lbs? There's no door sticker to tell you like on a truck or car.

Hoo boy...that's not real good, Hawg.....but ya, max pressure on those, if you're going to run them....but, you're over the safe limit or close (figuring in gear) ...Not trying to be a smartie, either. 

The tire’s load rating, or “max load,” indicates the individual tire’s safe maximum load-carrying capacity when inflated to its recommended pressure. Never exceed a tire’s maximum load rating (the limit that is molded into the tire sidewall) or the maximum vehicle load limit shown on the vehicle tire placard, whichever is less. The tire is designed and constructed to handle a specific maximum load, and overloading will result in a buildup of excessive heat in the tire, which could lead to tire failure.

The load index number, which appears on the tire sidewall, is an assigned number that corresponds to the tire’s load-carrying capacity. Alphanumeric tires will display an alpha code that indicatesmaximum load. The letter can range from “A” to “N” (the higher the letter, the greater the load-carrying capacity at a given inflation pressure).

The max load and maximum inflation numbers found on the tire sidewall indicate the maximum load that can safely be carried and the maximum allowable tire pressure. The construction of the tire (belts, bead, carcass, liner) dictates the tire’s ability to withstand pressure. The stronger the reinforcements, the greater pressure the tire can h

17 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I'd stop at least a few times to let heat dissipate. Max psi of that 65 lbs, because it's the tire sidewall flex that will get ya into trouble and build up the heat.

oh boy.............leave it alone smurf.............:P

Yup, Hawg, 65# on a cold tire. (measure them now, before it's like 10* out.....best temp is around 50-70* for a "true" temp, as air pressure will actually drop a tad when it's below the freezing point. Some high-end car guys in my club (worse than me) actually do the nitrogen tire fill, which IMO, hasn't been significantly proven yet. I just make sure my air tank/compressor  is drained after EVERY use, and my filter is working to keep out moisture. I also do a tiny squirt of WD-40 on my Schrader valve once a year in winter. ((keylock holes in doors too)  Do NOT fill tires at an outside air hose place in winter!!!!!!!!!!! (Or anytime, really)  OK, enough of tires 101 for today. I need a Pepsi.  :grin: