Jump to content
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Big Dave2

What's the next gun you're going to buy?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Yup.... during fall harvest and tillage I see a lot of varmits. Would be nice to have a few 410 rounds for some coons and a 45 colt for the yotes 

I think the problem will be that you would have to be pretty darn close to actually hit one with enough bbs to do any damage.

I always hear that the effective range with a.410 shot shell in such a short barrel is like under 7 yards. I would think that a good .22 rifle kept handy or even a 9mm hand gun would be a better choice for what you want to do with it.

Edited by Big Dave2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I think the problem will be that you would have to be pretty darn close to actually hit one with enough bbs to do any damage.

I always hear that the effective range with a.410 shot shell in such a short barrel is like under 7 yards. I would think that a good .22 rifle kept handy or even a 9mm hand gun would be a better choice for what you want to do with it.

Effective range with the .410 Taurus would be approx 10 yds for a "medium spread" pattern.......out to 15 yds for an effective kill, I think. (Birdshot)  Problem is, the Taurus shoots  only  2 3/4" shells, so for buckshot,  only 3" shells, and  3" .410 are filled with (3) 000 buckshot....or shoot #5 or #6 birdshot, but you'll get poor penetration. But whatever works for ya. Don't want to get into a ballistics course here; just what kinda gun do YOU want to own....

I want a Thompson submachine gun with the Cutt's compensater and round drum!!!  RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT!!

And phooey on the muzzle lift!!!   I wouldn't holler about an M1 Garand, either.....:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Effective range with the .410 Taurus would be approx 10 yds for a "medium spread" pattern.......out to 15 yds for an effective kill, I think. (Birdshot)  Problem is, the Taurus shoots  only  2 3/4" shells, so for buckshot,  only 3" shells, and  3" .410 are filled with (3) 000 buckshot....or shoot #5 or #6 birdshot, but you'll get poor penetration. But whatever works for ya. Don't want to get into a ballistics course here; just what kinda gun do YOU want to own....

Sounds about right. The other factor is they make the Judge in a few different barrel lengths which could also affect the range with the shorter barrel ones that people are more apt to purchase for carrying. I would bet that you would only have a chance at a 15 yard effective kill shot with the longest barrel Judge.

The other issue as I see it is how often do you see a coyote or raccoon at 10-15 yds and what is the chance he will still be at 10-15 yds. by the time you get the gun out, get ready and fire?

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool guns and one is definitely on my list someday as well but I just don't want to see rl_sd spend a good amount of money on something that may not be suited for what he wants to do with it and be disappointed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How 'bout an AA-12 then? US forces have one of their own; but it's not mentionable here....sorry!     Pick this baby up, along with Boris and Natasha,  and you can get ALL the predators you want, PLUS Mooze und Skwirrel!!! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Sounds about right. The other factor is they make the Judge in a few different barrel lengths which could also affect the range with the shorter barrel ones that people are more apt to purchase for carrying. I would bet that you would only have a chance at a 15 yard effective kill shot with the longest barrel Judge.

The other issue as I see it is how often do you see a coyote or raccoon at 10-15 yds and what is the chance he will still be at 10-15 yds. by the time you get the gun out, get ready and fire?

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool guns and one is definitely on my list someday as well but I just don't want to see rl_sd spend a good amount of money on something that may not be suited for what he wants to do with it and be disappointed.  

The farmers I know who want to control predators and varmints during the harvest just have a shotgun in the cab. The animals don't have really any fear of the farm machinery so its  pretty easy to stop,get out and take care of business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

The farmers I know who want to control predators and varmints during the harvest just have a shotgun in the cab. The animals don't have really any fear of the farm machinery so its  pretty easy to stop,get out and take care of business.

You are exactly right. For whatever reason a coon will move out just far enough out of the way of the tractor.... and the next pas do the same... and again, and again. 10 yds is not a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool guns and one is definitely on my list someday as well but I just don't want to see rl_sd spend a good amount of money on something that may not be suited for what he wants to do with it and be disappointed.  

I have other pistols that I could carry as well. Just seems like a hand held scatter gun with the option to throw 45 cal out of the same cylinder intrigues me. Definitely a novelty item none the less...

the other fire arm on the bucket list would be the Ruger Charger, but that comes from my love for the 10/22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Duffman said:

That baby has replaced fly swatters in my boat.

And it is much more fun.

:)

My 7 year old goes through two loads of salt a night during a still summer night!

Edited by rl_sd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 2:22 PM, Big Dave2 said:

Not too many so called "assault rifles".......;)

Them gun safe's ain't filling themselves

I thought we all already had one.

 

 

20171210_153913.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Not me.....:(

Yea, well down in Belle Plaine you got all those gun toting Christians to protect your ars! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Yea, well down in Belle Plaine you got all those gun toting Christians to protect your ars! :lol:

Meh, I can protect myself just fine with or without a $1000 rifle. My $100 Hi-Point .45 will make you just as dead as that AR.

It's more than likely one of those crazy arse Christians that I need to protect myself from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

It's more than likely one of those crazy arse Christians that I need to protect myself from.

I know, you hear about them everyday in the News burning and terrorizing the good atheist folks of Belle Plaine MN. :lol:

ContentThriftyDalmatian-max-1mb.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I know, you hear about them everyday in the News burning and terrorizing the good atheist folks of Belle Plaine MN. :lol:

We've went over this before but over 85% of this country's population is Christian. Guess who is causing over 85% of the crime?

And actually, there have been terroristic threats against the couple of outed atheists here in Belle Plaine.......;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

We've went over this before but over 85% of this country's population is Christian. Guess who is causing over 85% of the crime?

Yes we have and still, It only makes sense that if 85% of this country's population identifies as Christian. 85% of the criminals when ask with a check off box on their in-processing form, would identify with what they were raised with as well. Big shock!

By the way that question is on the in-processing forms so the few atheist's and other beliefs can be accommodated during their stay as well. ;)

It doesn't mean that the little Norwegian or German Lutheran ladies down in Belle Plaine are going to gun down Big Dave with their AR's after the church Pot Luck as he walks down the street! Fear-Not Dave.  :lol: 

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

We've went over this before but over 85% of this country's population is Christian. Guess who is causing over 85% of the crime?

Pagans, most likely. ;)

 

You’re a good debater but even you have to admit your 85% rule would only apply if 85% of the entire population where criminals.

You can have 85% of crime caused by 15% of the population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anyway. The gun that I always wanted to get just for the fun factor is the old Ruger 44 mag carbine. Great for short range still Deer hunting through the woods.

The farmer that we use to hunt with before he passed away had one. One day his son was using it and I heard him shoot. When we got back to the truck I said did you shoot?  He said yes I shot all 5 rounds at a running Doe. The darn little gun shoots so fast I only heard 1 or 2 of his shots!  :lol:

wm_516562.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings back memories and reminds me of something I had totally forgotten!!   Decades ago was at a wilderness cabin with a couple guys and on of them had this carbine. I shot it a few times (open sights) and took it out for a walk next morning. Shot two deer at around 50 yards and they both dropped dead.  Am surprised the item you have in photo has a recoil pad since I do not recall any recoil at all. Always thought it was a handy little piece but never used it again and had no inclination to buy one. Do have a 10-22 of course
(doesn't every home have one:) and other items. Many don't know Ruger makes their BIG rifle in .22 caliber with a laminated stock. Had one with nice Zeiss glass and it was a tack driver.  Don't recall what I did with it.

Okay, back to standby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

 Many don't know Ruger makes their BIG rifle in .22 caliber with a laminated stock. Had one with nice Zeiss glass and it was a tack driver.  Don't recall what I did with it.

Do you know what model that would be?

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

You can have 85% of crime caused by 15% of the population.

I suppose it's possible but it's just not reality. The large majority of criminals identify as Christians and that's a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the one I had was just a model #77 but in .22 cal.  It was a very nice rifle but a little heavy to carry squirrel hunting. It was not cheap either. My guess is I traded it for something else that caught my fancy. You know how that goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Do you know what model that would be?

I suppose it's possible but it's just not reality. The large majority of criminals identify as Christians and that's a fact.

I would disagree with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some even think Christianity is to blame for crime in America.......

Quote

EXCLUSIVE: 'Fundamentalist' Christianity is to blame for crime in America - because the Bible teaches violence and vengeance, claims provocative new book

Criminology professor uses new book to claim evangelicals are fueling crime and violence in the US

Christian Right think America is 'modern day Sodom and Gomorrah' and prefer vengeance to forgiveness, claims Elicka Peterson Sparks 

Singles out Rush Limbaugh for wielding disproportionate influence in American public life

Claims typical Christian fundamentalist uses religion to feel self-righteous and employs double standards in their thinking and judgment



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3460589/Christianity-making-America-criminal-Bible-teaches-vengeance-violence-claims-provocative-new-book.html#ixzz510szUcTb 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Butler turning down the offer was a no brainer...if he signed it this year he would lose out on like $60 million opposed to if he signs after this year.  Sure he could blow out a knee and not get signed but odds are in his favor that he waits a year gets same contract but for $60 million more.  NO BRAINER!!  We offered it out of respect but knew he was not going to sign it...
    • I'd like to see you cut them in half first.......😋
    • Hello from the NW Angle!

      Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

      Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

      Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

      Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge
       
    • we do a package similar to big dave's shrimp boil but with walleye layer of sliced new taters on the bottom, then the walleye filet, add carrots, bell pepper and sweet onion from the garden, w/butter pat and old bay i seal the packet and poke once with a fork to let some of the steam escape. on the grill at 350 for 40 minutes  
    • 5 qts pickled green beans, 2-2gal jars cukes.
    • Port Washington has been hot but mostly cohos.  A lot can change in a couple weeks.  Will wait and keep our options open as long as we can.
    • Do you boil the eggs before smoking them?
    • that's my thoughts to Bobber...
×