• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bean 'n Ham soup

RebelSS

32 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well, it's time someone else started posting some recipes, don'tcha think? Like you, maybe, smurf?

Why? No one comes here to  read them anyway, and according to some, it goes off topic anyway!!!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Why? No one comes here to  read them anyway, and according to some, it goes off topic anyway!!!!!!!!!

See Reb, he can make fruit cake!!  266 people came here to read this very informative Bean 'n Ham soup post. :P

Bean 'n Ham soup

By RebelSS, 22 hours ago
  • 28 replies

11 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Thanks, leech. Ya, fruitcake with lotsa nuts. Hope they enjoyed it and want to give it a try. Danged tasty stuff. I'll let you guys play ball over here today; I don't need it right now. Other things going on.

This is the time of year for great soups. :)

When I do retire in many years from now. Here is what I am going to do all day during the winters.

Smoke all kinds of meat!

Make all kinds of artisan breads!

Make some massive hearty soups!

And get fatter! :P

On 11/21/2017 at 11:08 AM, RebelSS said:

Canned beans? Hmmmmmm......might be real mushy, as they're already "cooked". Let us know.....

Had the soup last night and it was really good. The beans weren't too bad - I wouldn't say any mushier than they probably where right out of the can. Pretty similar to the texture of Bush's Baked Beans, so mushy, but I was worried they might be the consistency of refried beans after cooking on low call day in the crockpot.

Going to try adding a little liquid smoke next time. That sounds like an interesting twist.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:10 AM, Getanet said:

Going to try adding a little liquid smoke next time. That sounds like an interesting twist.

Maybe try simmering it over a charcoal bed with some chunks of apple or cherry for a 'real" smoke taste?

On 11/22/2017 at 7:59 AM, smurfy said:

You do realize that was never the point, right? The problem was not so much that the threads get off topic but that the great recipes you guys were posting weren't being indexed and no one could ever get back to them and put them to use. This post is great and any time I ever want to make bean soup I can just do a search and find it easily. It gets harder when a bean soup recipe gets posted in a good morning thread or something like that.

Just sayin".

36 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Doesn't stay on the grate real well that way. 

You must be as bright as the woman we sold a ham to one time years ago at the grocery store I worked at. She asked the owner of the store who also worked behind the meat counter how to prepare the ham. He told her to put a can of 7up in the bottom of the pan and put in the ham and roast it a 350 degrees for whatever length of time. She looked at him puzzled and said "how do you balance the ham up on top of the can of 7up?" We laughed about that one for years....

28 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Other than that, I no longer gives a rat's azz anyway.

Good for you!

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

You do realize that was never the point, right? The problem was not so much that the threads get off topic but that the great recipes you guys were posting weren't being indexed and no one could ever get back to them and put them to use. This post is great and any time I ever want to make bean soup I can just do a search and find it easily. It gets harder when a bean soup recipe gets posted in a good morning thread or something like that.

Just sayin".

Yea Dave I totally get it. It just gets old after a while. Ya post a recipe or have a little fun and someone comes along and criticizes the whole thread. Then wonders why the hey no one is here anymore!

11 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Yea Dave I totally get it. It just gets old after a while. Ya post a recipe or have a little fun and someone comes along and crisicizes the whole thread. Then wonders why noone is anymore!

And to find them use Google, it can search the site better than the site can.