• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tipup boxes

Moon Lake Refuge

Anyone have good experience building there own?  I have a cheap fly real coming and I'm going to take a crack at something similar to a bite me box.  So far I'm thinking a soup can in there to heat it.  We have a new honda generator coming shortly so I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep it warm with electric.  Concern is just using a light bulb might send to much light down the hole.  Any other ways to just plug it in and provide some heat?

On 11/1/2017 at 7:51 AM, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Anyone have good experience building there own?  I have a cheap fly real coming and I'm going to take a crack at something similar to a bite me box.  So far I'm thinking a soup can in there to heat it.  We have a new honda generator coming shortly so I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep it warm with electric.  Concern is just using a light bulb might send to much light down the hole.  Any other ways to just plug it in and provide some heat?

I've never heard of it. Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting

I have used a budddies bite me box look quite simple to build. Didn't like the charcoal heat idea. 

I do use a mini heat pad to keep my wifi tablet & cell warm and charged. They operate from 5v to 12v - at 5v pad temp is 118 deg f & 12v at 265 deg f. I run my heaters with 12v sealed lead acid batteries 7ah & 9ah. (Aka Vexilar battery). On my tablet box I use a cell phone charger running heater at 5v (118 deg.) Which also keeps my tablet charged. I would put 4 of these pads inside a bite me box, 1 on each side. Should keep everything above freezing.

Link to site: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1481?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyvXPBRD-ARIsAIeQeoGH2MGNoQJF_5UcMwyQ5w2HV5qHUdsI195vuFyjKglGwdx59DfHr9waAiCQEALw_wcB

Heat pad

Screenshot_20171104-075221.thumb.png.f33d9f75f6955d58e19ad5d242d24536.png

My tablet box20171104_075810.thumb.jpg.216f8d7e4dd9fc8537e4880108e5fa8c.jpg

11 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Made it this week, just finishing painting it now.  Decided to go with charcoal at the moment, didnt know how a cold battery would stand up over a weekend.

Put the battery inside the box. Small version sealed lead acid about same size of charcoal soup can.

Edited by papadarv