• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile dead battery

Walleyehooker

7 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

Well battery was dead again after I got back from up north. So went and got a new one at batteries plus. Amazing that a battery 1/4 the size of a car battery cost just as much. So if it ever snows enough to ride at least it will start.

Have you thought about a AGM Glass Mat Batteries?  I was having issues with batteries on my 650 Dual Sport and put one of them in and it seemed to last and be pretty strong when turning over the bike.

28 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

I hope the one I bought lasts for a while. Think it is a AGM battery. Just have to remember to disconnect or remove before storage next time and it should be OK.

May be you should run it by the dealer and have them check for a short? Sounds like something is drawing more juice then it should for a brand new sled?

Edited by leech~~

The new AGM batteries are great. The biggest problem with them is recharging them. If the charging voltage is too high, over 14 to 14.5 volts, it will fry the battery. The battery should be charged at a rate of .75 to 1.5 amps on an auto shut off battery charger. Not all trickel chargers are compatible to use with an AGM, so check that as well. 

And dont trust just because its new on the shelf they are good to go. I have seen way to many DOA and take a tester with me before I purchase. I wasted 3-4 trips to multiple stores trying to find a new AGM battery that was good off of the shelf a few years back after having to return the first few.

That's good to know. I just got one off the shelf and put it in and it started fine. It has a 2 year warranty so we will see. Ill let it sit for a few days and see if it still starts OK. I'm sure the drain over the summer was from the clock or computer etc. My Harleys will do the same thing over time as they have a clock in the gauges to. I have a few battery maintainers and plug ins on the bikes 4 wheeler and lawn mower and try to plug them in every 3-4 weeks