• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inline reel reviews

Cooter

On October 16, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Cooter said:

Which no13s?  See they have a couple.  Anyone tried the inlines that sportsman direct offers?

I have

2 BB6061 (black 2nd gen)

1 BB6061 (silver)

1 frabill 371

1 Descent

1 bb fly

1 No 8 fly

1 frabill fly

The frabill 371 and the BB6061 silver are the two best build IMO. I looked at the free fall......looks like a cheap $30 reel they charge $110 for.

For a good solid priced one the descent seems like it will be good for the price.....the button to remove the spool will be nice.

Do yourself a favor and if you get any of them, put some Lucas reel oil on the parts it really helps make them smooth.

Can't post pictures as of now. But I will  try to explain. On the Wright McGill I used a 3/32 threaded brass rod . Drilled a hole in the neck just above the spool. Positioned the aprox 3/4 " loop out about 2 '' in front of the spool and at the same height where the line enters the spool. On the CGI I formed the rod in an arc to fit on top of the fender and located the loop the same area as the Wright McGill . I fastened it to reel fender with JB weld. When you are using a rod holder outside  this really helps to keep the wind from spooling the line off but doesn't help if your jig stops before you can stop the free spool . Just a note. I just saw this morning Clam has a guide mounted in front of their Inline. I hope this helps.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, eyeguy 54 said:

just pan fish for my inlines.   not sure why a drag problem. I started with a genz model and no drag so returned it, went to the cgi and love the drag.  would be interesting to see how a baitcaster would work.  never have owned a modern one. had the ones that clicked when I was a kid and have a couple in the basement on old steel rods. @hnd  which inline had the bad drag? 

eagle claw and frabill's were by far the worse, the cgi's and the freefalls are ok but nowhere near the smoothness of spinning reels.  

I just picked up the 13 Fishing Descent for $27.99 at FishUSA. It was on sale last night and still showed it was on sale on their page today. But when I went to check out it was $34.99.  I chatted with them and they honored the sale price because it still showed $27.99 on their page. Just too bad I got it for my son for Christmas.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:11 AM, eyeguy 54 said:

still like my #8 cgi reels

I bought 2 No. 8 inlines this morning. Looking forward to trying them out. Scheels had them on sale so wasn't out much. Curious to see how they compare to my eagle claws that I really like.

16 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

called scheels here, no left hands left. bummer. lottsa right hands 15 bucks. talked to rep and they are being discontinued since the 13 Fishing Descent is the updated version. 

order online I got free shipping on my order as well. I tried to do site to store and it wasnt an option.

I have three Eagle Claws that I use jigging around docks for crappies on a 4' micro rod all summer for the last couple of years.  With tungsten jigs and 1" plastic minnows on 2# line going down 20-25' is no problem and that eliminates jig spin completely.  For the price I am well satisfied.   I cast with the spinning reels, but for jigging the free spool on the Eagle Claws works just fine for me. 

Edited by half-dutch

I was just putting new line on all my ice rods and I was reminded once again why I hate in-line reels.  If there’s anything from a handle to a nut to a spool that stupid line will find its way around it. And this was in my living room, it’s a real pain in the Fishhouse or out on the ice.  I will admit that the lack of line twist is a real plus but I’m not sure all the rest of the problems with the things are worth it. 

Edited by Hawg