• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mechanical broadhead recommendations

MidCoast

Not happy with swhackers?  I went to rage 3 years ago, the o ring blade retention and liked em.  Then bought some with the plastic cup rings and hate them.  Shooting the older ones again this year.

I think Swhacker makes a pretty decent head.  I shoot Spitfire Maxx mechanicals for deer sized critters and I've been very happy with them.  If I drop any more pounds with my setup I'll go to regular Spitfires since I'll be sacrificing more KE.  I love the Maxx's though!  I'm not a two blade mechanical fan and I'm not a Rage fan as I think their design is not very good.  But, they sure have great marketing and when their heads work, they are devastating!  When they don't...

Shot a 10 point with the slick trick raptor trick last week and was really happy with the results. Shot him at 2 yards so I waited for a quartering away shot to open up more of the vitals. Broadhead took a rib and a chunk of a vertebra going in 2 ribs,sternum and part of the leg going out. Slightly bent a blade otherwise no damage to the head. Only thing I didnt like was the entry hole in the hide was only 3/4" wide and that is because of the front deployment design. Once it was through the hide it opened to the full 2" cut. Blood trail at impact was 2 feet wide and he only went 25 yards.  I have taken 3 deer and a turkey this year with different heads. A whitetail doe and turkey with 3 blade rage chisel tip,both broadheads were broke after the shot. A mule deer doe with a griztrick 2,30 yard shot pass through. Great blood trail head was perfect and still sharp. And the buck with the raptor trick. 

20171011_183523.jpg

On 10/22/2017 at 8:20 PM, Wanderer said:

From the tree I assume, not the stand.  But close for sure!  Nice to have a 10 pointer down (and all the other stuff) by this time of year.

2 yards from the tree and I was 12 feet up,not much travel time on that arrow. As soon as I touch the release the next thing I saw was just the knockturnal lighted knock sticking out of the sweet spot. 

On 10/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, snagfinder said:

I have shot 4 deer with rage and theyve only went probably a combined 150 yards.

I do now have the plastic collar kind hopefully the function right have not yet shot one

Well I'm not sure what to think now. Shot a beautiful 8 pointer last night at about 30 yards and only got about 6" of penetration. Could not find it and had to work today. Gonna go look again tomorrow morning. Shot looked good must have just caught shoulder plate or something, but still why so little penetration. All other rage shots had no issues. Either way I'm making myself sick thinking about it. 

Snag that stinks. I'm confused but your initial post though- you asked why do little penetration even if you hit the shoulder?  The answer is because you hit the shoulder!  (If I'm fact that's what happened). 6 inches is more than lots of shoulder hits get for penetration.  Plus with a big expandable you should expect less penetration (compared to a smaller diameter fixed head), particularly in a hit that contacts significant bone. 

I'm not trying to give you heck here, just saying big expandable are not a good mix when one hits bone. Good luck- I hope you find him.