• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HUJU

On 10/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, rl_sd said:

Looks like you are moving forward on the siding, but we did the pine interior first and sprayed from the outside in. It worked awesome doing it that way... and no worries about hitting wires when you are nailing up the interior!

Yea, I'm not sure when this project is gonna get evicted from the shop area that i'm using so we had to get it weather proof first. Ideally i think the interior first is a better approach. We ran into some issues wiring that would've been easier handling from the outside. 

It's been awhile since I've had time to upload pictures. There has been a lot of progress made! 

The siding is up and finished! The process was more difficult to manage with the bends and my lack of tape measure skill lol If i were to do the bends again I would make sure to order 2 sheets extra and order them at the length required to wrap the entire house. From the point on the nose all the way back to the middle of the rear wall. There ended up being vertical seams along the sides here, which in hind sight, isn't ideal. 

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.5c7c94bd500dc8cdc867848dd3e5d694.JPG

One thing that i'm not sure I've noted is the bottom white trim. A lot of people use J- Channel on the bottom but you can order a trim called a step down. Which works awesome around the lower edges and doesn't fill up with ice and snow. 

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.fd6f339907f2c6d1a49a20a56d800033.JPG

The trailer lights are all wired up and working. Seeing whats back behind these big trailers always drives me crazy so i bought the ones with reverse lights built in. 

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.6a761b35eabf2d92af662b5372b10f39.JPG

The maiden voyage was out into the parking lot and then back into the shop. It didn't fall apart so it was a success. 

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.2419dfd93c3be86cb94657630b3cbc50.JPG

I took a few pictures of the bending process. It was a pretty simple setup. A big piece of angle aluminum secured between 2 - 2x4's with 2 clamps a bar and a big hammer worked really well. If you're going to do this make sure to add half of the rib height to whatever the measurement you're trying to hit is. And as i mentioned before, buy the length to wrap the house from the front point all the way to the middle of the rear wall. 

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.80f492b318f0414a9f45f3538c3c6e14.JPG

We would clamp the bar down then hit it with the hammer to "break" the corrugations. Once they were broken it bent extremely easy. 

IMG_0302.thumb.JPG.d5e4adabc5fa1c874975647cb7b79598.JPG

We also got most of the lighting on the inside roughed in. I have 4 110 outlets and 2 USB plug ins for cell phone/misc charging. All of the lighting will run on 12V. I'm no engineer but, each of the lights in the picture draw 240mA so with them all on I'm thinking i'll get about 30 hours of run time on one battery. There will be 2 batteries for lighting and USB and a separate one for the heater so I should be ok for a weekend "off the grid". I'll have a generator as well to run the TV and other goodies which can charge the batteries as well. IMG_0309.thumb.JPG.b61dc43d667e23171632a6c0ec9db7c8.JPG

I also picked up the material for the interior. Menard's is having their 11% sale until 10/21/17 and also a sale on their 5/16" Cedar tongue and groove. Between the two sales I got the price down to just under $1 per square foot. Apparently, they aren't stocking this specific Cedar anymore so I had to buy 3 different stores out of stock to get all that I needed. In the end I still didn't have enough to do the roof so i bought some Birch plywood to finish that part. I think a lighter ceiling will help the place feel a little bigger anyways.

I got antsy last night and finished some of the cedar boards with Natural Finish Watco Danish Oil. It turned out to be the exact look I was going for. From what I've read i think finishing them all before installation is the way to go. Then once everything is up doing a quick coat of Danish to even everything out. IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.c6a72fdd8abb39db061d962ff637b9c9.JPG

At this point i'm counting the Steps left to go instead of how many I have done! It's getting close to starting the fun part ( the interior). I'll keep everyone posted on the progress! 

22 minutes ago, vtx1029 said:

Looking good! I also wanted reverse lights. I used some of the really bright light bars from Amazon on mine.

E2CFE7FD-DD59-43EA-8961-D5C66E9BB449.jpeg

That's awesome. I gave mine a test last night and they weren't bright enough. I might have to order some bright lights from Amazon. 

Looking good, if its like mine was everything seems to take longer than it should.  I had to buy at 3 Menards last fall for enough useable packs of cedar so that's nothing new, make sure you buy extra there will be some unusable pieces hidden in the 6 pack.  Some packages you would only get 3-4 good pieces out of.  I repackaged and returned them as defective.

The exterior is completely finished, took a lot longer than expected but it's official. The interior is ready to be sprayed foamed with all of the electrical run. I don't have any pictures but we put almost 900 feet of 12V wiring into it and about 75 Feet of 120V. I video taped where all of the wires were run holding a tape measure up to the wall. Once it's foamed there is no telling where any of the wires are so when Murphy shows up I can use the video as a reference point. 

I'm trying to finalize the interior layout of this beast and one question is: Bathroom or no-bathroom, what do you guys think?

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.a59856bcf8209054a2bb263c61b078f1.JPG

First house I built was a 6-1/2 x 16 yetti.. no bathroom because of no space.  House I built last year is a 8 x 16 yetti, this one has a bathroom in the v front.  Main reason is I didn't want to drag a portable along to use it for a bathroom, and some places you go its too busy to even pee outside for guys and impossible for the women.  Didn't give up much space, custom built a slider door and a moveable toilet lid/bucket stand. 

4 hours ago, HUJU said:

The exterior is completely finished, took a lot longer than expected but it's official. The interior is ready to be sprayed foamed with all of the electrical run. I don't have any pictures but we put almost 900 feet of 12V wiring into it and about 75 Feet of 120V. I video taped where all of the wires were run holding a tape measure up to the wall. Once it's foamed there is no telling where any of the wires are so when Murphy shows up I can use the video as a reference point.

I'm trying to finalize the interior layout of this beast and one question is: Bathroom or no-bathroom, what do you guys think?

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.a59856bcf8209054a2bb263c61b078f1.JPG

Woman or no woman with you fishing?  What do you think? :grin:

I say bathroom. I built mine in the v. Its not much bigger than shoulder wide and knee deep when sitting on the can. As said some places gets so busy that it can be hard outside to wiz without being in eye shot of someone. 

Well I'm sure the girlfriend will want to tag along every now and then. I was thinking of doing a full wall across the front but don't want to waste that much space. Plus i don't want to get stuck holding the bag of shat (literally) every weekend. Might do a half V on your guys' recommendation 

Quick Update everyone. We got the spray foam done this past weekend and got started on the interior tongue and groove.

Spray Foam: I ended up purchasing the kit online, as you've probably seen on the other threads it ends up being about the same price as bringing it to someone to have done. I was able to get the price a little lower than a professional installation but not by a large margin. The installation process was extremely straight forward. If you have ever painted with a sprayer or even spray paint you could probably do this. I ended up having to do a few layers since I didn't have any experience with the expansion rate. Make sure you read and follow the safety instructions on the package. The fumes inside the ice house got pretty strong and a respirator is definitely a must. We did a few depth tests and ended up with about 1.5" of foam on average which has an R value some where around 9.75. Here's a video: IMG_0332.MOV

Tongue and groove: After the spray foam was done and the shop aired out over night we were able to start the tongue and groove and get the ceiling panels started. IMG_0334.thumb.JPG.8d189c4cf7d78cf3dcaeca4e3a4796b8.JPG

The birch plywood paneling on the ceiling should give a nice contrast to the cedar. The lights mount into it really nicely too. You can kind of see it in the video here: IMG_0335.MOV

When it's all said and done a bathroom doesn't take that much room and provides a lot of storage. That black space you see is where the tv mounts at a good view able height and being enclosed in the wall it never gets bumped. You'll never regret it if you you stay overnight at a busy lake. #1 is easy, #2 is a little tougher especially for women.

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

Edited by Hawg

Has anyone ever put in some out door ventilation in the bathroom?  Maybe some sort of slider that can be opened or closed as needed?  I imagine after a couple bowls of ice house chili some bathroom ventilation could be a real blessing. 

I'm not currently building a house but always thinking about it.  One idea I had was to put in a little door/hatch in the outdoor wall of the bathroom so that when someone is done releasing the demons they could bag it up, open the hatch and drop the bundle outside into a waiting can or just into a snow bank where it can freeze up before having to be hauled away.  Maybe it could also double as ventilation, just open the hatch and wave the newspaper a few times.

20 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Has anyone ever put in some out door ventilation in the bathroom?  Maybe some sort of slider that can be opened or closed as needed?  I imagine after a couple bowls of ice house chili some bathroom ventilation could be a real blessing. 

I'm not currently building a house but always thinking about it.  One idea I had was to put in a little door/hatch in the outdoor wall of the bathroom so that when someone is done releasing the demons they could bag it up, open the hatch and drop the bundle outside into a waiting can or just into a snow bank where it can freeze up before having to be hauled away.  Maybe it could also double as ventilation, just open the hatch and wave the newspaper a few times.

We've done both a wall vent, and a powered roof vent with a built in fan.  The roof vents are far easier to come by, since virtually every RV out there has a couple of them.  

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

I put this in the side wall of my shack just for that reason.

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Ventline/VP-543SP.html

4 hours ago, Hawg said:

When it's all said and done a bathroom doesn't take that much room and provides a lot of storage. That black space you see is where the tv mounts at a good view able height and being enclosed in the wall it never gets bumped. You'll never regret it if you you stay overnight at a busy lake. #1 is easy, #2 is a little tougher especially for women.

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

I like the house! The magnet thing holding the knives, etc. on the wall looks pretty slick. A small bathroom would be ideal

I've never been a fan of holes in the roof for any reason, they always seems like a potential leak spot to me. Once a house gets any kind of roof leak they seem to deteriorate fast. Here's another slick gadget for drying gloves and stuff.

IMG_0606.JPG

Edited by Hawg