• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High School Football has Become a Joke

Big Dave2

Anyone here care about High School football anymore?

My home town of Belle Plaine has to travel almost 2-1/2 hours tonight to Worthington. What a joke! For a regular season game! Our schedule includes away games in Marshal and Fairmont as well. High School aged kids including my 17 year old son and his friends will be travelling all the way to Worthington and back just to watch their team play. This new High School re-classification infuriates me. End of Rant.

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/836132?referrer_id=338086

That is a consequence of the class system, seems most likely.   When you split up into 6 classes (plus 9 person) might cover some ground. 

I guess we could go back to playing the folks nearby even if the school is 3 times bigger...

That is the consequence of school consolidation. 

30 years ago teams could travel 5-10 miles and play up to 4 different schools. Now we are basically down to 1-2 schools per county and they are in different classes so there is no choice but to travel longer distances. It's the same in any sport in high school with the possible exception of the Trap shooters because we shoot at our home club every week. 

So my suggestion is to forget about all other sports and talk everyone into trap shooting because we keep it local. :grin:

25 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Like Dave said... way worse in SD with less classes Brandon SD is traveling 5 hrs to Rapid City tonight. 

You need a chartered plane like in Texas.  Hawaii has a problem too, go to another island to play...

3 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Like Dave said... way worse in SD with less classes Brandon SD is traveling 5 hrs to Rapid City tonight. 

Don't miss those bus rides... well actually I kind of do. Lots of good memories from all those road trips out west especially the co-ed ones hehe

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

Don't miss those bus rides... well actually I kind of do. Lots of good memories from all those road trips out west especially the co-ed ones hehe

I think that is the real issue here. Dave doesn't want his son around girls for 2 1/2hrs!  :P

18 hours ago, rundrave said:

Traveled for many sports in high school, I am not following what the issue is having to travel 2-1/2 hours?

Is Worthington, Marshall and Fairmont in the same class as Belle Plain?

You can't see what issues could arise from having high school kids driving 2-1/2 hours one way just to watch a football game then driving 2-1/2 hours back in the dark and not even able to get home before curfew?

16 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That is a consequence of the class system, seems most likely.   When you split up into 6 classes (plus 9 person) might cover some ground. 

I guess we could go back to playing the folks nearby even if the school is 3 times bigger...

That wasn't the case at all in the Minnesota River Conference. This new system only favors the bigger city schools. Everyone else has to drive all over the state for a game and all the rivalries that have been built up for well over 50 years in some cases are completely gone.

16 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

That is the consequence of school consolidation. 

No, this is the consequence of the new class system.

16 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

30 years ago teams could travel 5-10 miles and play up to 4 different schools. Now we are basically down to 1-2 schools per county and they are in different classes so there is no choice but to travel longer distances. It's the same in any sport in high school with the possible exception of the Trap shooters because we shoot at our home club every week. 

2 years ago we could travel 30 miles or less for almost every away game and it could still be that way if they didn't take away conference play. This is probably a problem down in your area and other out state regions but we are on the edge of a major metropolitan area with over 1 million people. I'm guessing we could find a game closer than 140 miles away. :angry:

So what changed in the Class system from the High School League?.  We have had a bunch of classes in Football for decades.   I recall going to the prep bowl maybe 30 years ago and it took all day with all the classes playing.   Are their more classes?  Or fewer High Schools that play football?  

12 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

So what changed in the Class system from the High School League?.  We have had a bunch of classes in Football for decades.   I recall going to the prep bowl maybe 30 years ago and it took all day with all the classes playing.   Are their more classes?  Or fewer High Schools that play football?  

Conferences are scrapped and scheduling is by districts. Feel free to read the article I posted in the OP. This changed at least 2 years ago, I thought you were the one that was well-informed?

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Conferences are scrapped and scheduling is by districts. Feel free to read the article I posted in the OP. This changed at least 2 years ago, I thought you were the one that was well-informed?

Well, since my kids have been out of high school for 20 years or so, I don't follow it all that closely.   Could you explain the meaning of " killing conferences in favor of the district scheduling model "?     Is this an attempt to have schools play others their own size?   How is a conference different than a district? 

I asked a question, I didn't really expect snark.   But it is what it is.  

Edited by delcecchi

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

Well, since my kids have been out of high school for 20 years or so, I don't follow it all that closely.   Could you explain the meaning of " killing conferences in favor of the district scheduling model "?     Is this an attempt to have schools play others their own size? 

Did you read the article?

KIlling conferences means there is no more conference play in High School football in Minnesota. Scheduling is done more on a district level. This means we play teams 140 miles away instead of 10 miles or 30 miles away. It also means you can play any team in your district so you probably won't play a lot of the same teams each year to develop any sort of a rivalry. To me it means the ruination of high school football for the casual fan and a real big hassle for parents of players.

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

I asked a question, I didn't really expect snark.   But it is what it is.  

I'm just repaying the snark you gave me the other day when you suggested that I shouldn't make comments on things because I didn't know every news story from 7 years ago.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I didn't know every news story from 7 years ago.

That was in Sillytown, and the story was all over national news for days.   Not the same as some thing from the Minnesota High School League that affects mostly the rural areas.   Yep, I missed the effects of the rulings.  Doesn't seem to be a big thing in Rochester, they have to go to Owatonna and Austin and Faribault etc.  Stop at Cabela's on the way back...  

On 9/30/2017 at 2:16 PM, Big Dave2 said:

One big reason for this is the number of outstate schools has plummeted. Yeah, the metro probably has more schools but that doesn't make up the difference and possibly the reason your team goes 140 miles isn't because you don't have closer alternatives but because the outstate team doesn't?