• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Did anyone fish this weekend?

Went to Lake Thompson Sat. 10 to 4pm.
Caught 2 Northern and 1 15" Walleye.
90% of the folks were walking on or using atv or snowmobiles. Did see a pickup with a slide in camper on the ice. Nice day.

I was by Poinsett on Sunday. Everyone is fishing the north end by Prestudes landing. There was pickups driving on the ice. I wouldn't try. A four-wheeler went through the ice on Poinsett last week.

I don't have any hotspots. In the summer the south side is where I have the best luck.

Dakota,

I've found my best fishing out on Poinsett to be right out in the middle. There is so little structure in that lake, I think the walleyes are constantly roaming for food. I would get out away from the crowds at a minimum. Good luck, that lake can be great at times. Let us know how you do.

Gentleman, the tournament is on friday the 17th on lake poinsette. I dont know all the details but a radio station out of watertown is sponsoring the event. According to my vendor who has invited me there will be food and such served out on the ice and i think some prizes.

Dakota,

You fishing with anyone in this? Here was our strategy for the bowl shaped lakes we fished unless we had the fish found already. We found our first spot to start fishing, drill lines of wholes out from your starting point in all four directions, separating each by about 50 yards. Since you can run 4 lines, we covered a lot of water. My cousin and I split any prize money so it didn't matter who caught the fish. If we had one tip-up get hot, we would move closer to this area and concentrate or efforts. If we didn't find any fish after an hour or so, we moved again. I'm sure you've thought of all this, so good luck! Let us know how the tourney goes.

The fishing tournament on Poinsett is this Friday the 17th - runs from 10:00 to 3:00 and will be headquartered on the west end of the lake off of Hwy 81. They are putting a big tent on the ice which is where they will serve the free food. $5.00 entry fee and is sponsored by KWAT radio (605-886-8444) and The Poinsett Pounders snowmobile club as a part of the Governor's Winter Games this weekend. The ice is mostly good running 14-16" but the problem is heaves (that's where the 4 wheeler went in) running all over the lake - avoid them and you'll be fine. Fish are biting in the deep water - 15' or deeper if you can find it. Good luck!

The tournament had a really good turn out but the fishing was slow. I caught one walleye 16" and that was the only one between about 8 or 9 guys in the group i was fishing with. The beers went down good and they broke out the card table in the big shack and rolled some dice and played some poker so although the fish werent biting we did have a one of those memorable fishing trips!! Gonna hit the missouri river this weekend and maybe a couple nights after work this week and see if i cant get a limit, i have my shack permantly loaded in the back of my pick-up for the winter now so ill try lake mitchell and hit some of these stock dams after work along the interstate on my way home in the evenings. How about anyone else....anybody do any good this past weekend???

Hi Dakota Iceman, I went out fri nite and sat morning here in chamberlain. Caught two nice walleye fri nite (17 & 19"), nothing sat morn. 4 weeler conked out on me sat morn so I spent the afternoon trying to get it going. Finally dragged it off the ice and got it in a warm shop. We got 6" of ice here. Several guys were directly over the current and I imagin they were fishing over 3".... BTW, I thought I would see you this past week.

A little late on the reply but they had 218 fisherman at the tournament on Poinsett and only 55 fish weighed in - pretty tough - Dakota Iceman was our only "Master-Baiter" as he caught the only walleye in our group - picked up 4-5 northerns in the 3-4 lb range. They had hourly prizes of I believe $50 for the biggest walleye (not sure, I didn't win squat) and some really nice trophies for the biggest walleye, northern and perch for the tournament plus some door prizes. There is another tourney this Saturday on Kampeska from 1:00 - 6:00 sponsored by the Elks Lodge - hourly prizes for the biggest fish plus $50 drawing each hour and a $10,000.00 tagged walleye. Weigh-ins are at Kampeska Lodge and Sunnyside - wear your woolies - sounds like a high of 10 degrees and maybe some wind.

Dang......he just had to throw out that little tidbit about the ten thousand dollar tagged wally swimming around lake kampeska. That kinda thing just makes for long days in the office daydreaming about landing a 10,000 ice fishing equipment upgrade. 10 degrees...bitter cold...pipedream. You know you all are thinking the same thing i am. It could be done...

218 sounds like a lot of people considering it was a Friday derby. What would you consider to be their drawing card to get such a good turnout? Were the holes pre-drilled and near the derby headquarters? How much money did they give away?

We had slightly over 100 for our derby at Lake Brant last Sat. which I thought was a good turnout until I read this thread so am curious what we can do to draw a bigger crowd. I know the weather was much worse on Sat. but to get twice as many people on a Fri as we got on a Sat. tells me we could have done something different to attract more.

Hey Foster, you gonna be around tonight or tomorrow? wondering if you still have the extra auger for sale? Im gonna try iron nation and chamberlain this weekend, thought maybe it would be a good opportunity to try out that jiffy and see how well it performs if you still have it for sale. Anyways, let me know if you'll be around. Kelly.