• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse flooring help

Cooperman

Does anyone know how the wheelhouse manufacturers put down the rubber coin flooring so it won't ripple?

I'm on my third attempt to get my g- flooring ( rubber coin ) to lay flat with no ripples. I've tried laying it out in the sun, installing it on a warm day, stapling the edges, the flooring is not touching anything except of course the catch covers, which are screwed on top of the flooring. I get the same results every time. Should I try adhesive? I've been avoiding that because as others have mentioned, it may be a dam to remove, and I have read that it may not adhere to green treated material. Could I be having this problem because I have a Yetti, and the aluminum expands and contracts more? The house color is black and it does get very hot inside during the summer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated before I give up and find another type of flooring.

It's just expansion, Coop.  Don't use adhesive!! Seen too many horror stories over the years on iceshacks. I guess ya live with it, with that type of flooring, unless there's a top secret way I've never seen/heard of. I notice I can kinda "move" my free-floating vinyl flooring in kitchen at the edge (held down in center areas by double backed tape and by the quarter round wall moldings) at the edges during really warm days, if I push down and out on it. Vinyl always expands when it's hot...that's why vinyl siding is nailed loose with with oblong holes...and re-doing vinyl tops on cars are stretched and glued tight when really warm..best I can tell ya, anyway....

My floor lays flat for the most part, but if it's really warm it will expand and get a few ripples.  They go away after I run the air conditioner for a bit.  Even when it's cold in the winter I'll get a few small ripples for a bit when the furnace kicks on right outside the duct vents.  It's kind of annoying at first, but I haven't noticed it in a long time.

Maybe others have had better luck, but as RebelSS said, everyone I've talked to has steered me away from using an adhesive.

19 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I sometimes think loose lay nylon indoor-outdoor carpet (which most are) is sometimes better...depending on how sloppy ya are. Kinda like the carpet in a boat or no question......

The Key word "sloppy"  After a few days of pops ice fishing in the house your loose-lay becomes a Trip hazard!  :lol:

32 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

The Key word "sloppy"  After a few days of pops ice fishing in the house your loose-lay becomes a Trip hazard!  :lol:

Well, that's to be said of college dorms, too. If yer that bad, I'll sit a little table up for ya outside, and you can eat there, just like yer parents did at Thanksgiving.  :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Snowbound said:

I put Herculiner bed liner on the floor of my build.

Turned out nice, I like it

Greart idea, Textured Deck Over from Home Depot also works well - my choice. Durable, no rinkels, non-skid and very easy to repair after you've had a few beers and set your spinning arger blade on the floor drilling a fresh hole.

rl_sd, 

if you mean "save big money" , yes

papadarv, Snowbound,

do you think the Herculiner, or the Deck over will adhere to green treated or would I have to put down an underlayment?

Agronomist,

I thought of that also. I put that in one of my basement rooms.

We had deck over and swapped to the coin floor.  I think the hard part is that it cant move much at the holes where its screwed down.  Have you thought about stretching it when warm and screwing the outside down or screwing trim on the floor to keep it tight?  Or even just gluing the outside couple inches.  Enough to hold it but little enough to where you could pull it up without to much fuss.

One thing I like to make sure of, since the floor is wood, is that it can "breathe"...it will get ice crystal in it when really cold. Then it gets warmed up.....That's why I'd never glue anything down on it. Just my opinion.....

12 hours ago, Cooperman said:

rl_sd, 

papadarv, Snowbound,

do you think the Herculiner, or the Deck over will adhere to green treated or would I have to put down an underlayment?

Agronomist,

Deck Over is a new deck paint material designed for both green or cedar tone pressure treated wood. Advised to clean devk/floor before applied. On my deck and wheelhouse for 2 years with no sign of ware with 2 coats applied. Textured is thicker and contains small particles for non-slip.

20 hours ago, Cooperman said:

rl_sd, 

papadarv, Snowbound,

Agronomist,

My floor is marine grade plywood they use for docks and stuff. It is a better grade green treat.

I filled all screw holes and cracks and applied the Herculiner direct.

I only fished out of it one winter but I have no signs of it coming up or peeling

23 hours ago, Cooperman said:

rl_sd, 

papadarv, Snowbound,

Agronomist,

I believe it is an upgrade for flooring for a lot of companies now. Cheap and easy to use, and looks great.