• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shorter antenna

2014 F 150 and I would like to get a shorter antenna to avoid the slapping on the garage door.  I did the Googs and saw all sorts of them for under $20.  I don't know anything about this stuff and wonder if the baby ones work.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Ordered a replacement on-line.  Seems like it's a common thing.  The cutting off and a wire nut may have worked and maybe I should have tried it.  Live and learn.  At least if the stubby doesn't work I can go back to the big one.

Good luck with reception with a stubby. An FM antenna needs to be a 1/4 wavelength tall; ie; approx 75 cm or about 24.5".   As you drop past that, reception plummets. Motorheads know that one by heart. That's why I cut off 3" and went with that.

34 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Good luck with reception with a stubby. An FM antenna needs to be a 1/4 wavelength tall; ie; approx 75 cm or about 24.5".   As you drop past that, reception plummets. Motorheads know that one by heart. That's why I cut off 3" and went with that.

Motor heads know about antennas and electromagnetic fields? 

Guess they missed the part about how adding inductance can tune an antenna that is shorter than quarter wave.  

9 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Motor heads know about antennas and electromagnetic fields? 

Guess they missed the part about how adding inductance can tune an antenna that is shorter than quarter wave.  

What are ya, a parrot? Someone needs to tune you...with 220 volts of inductance. *ZZZZZT*

3 hours ago, Tom7227 said:

Well you guys could have given me this info before.

The replacements most likely have tuning components built in.  And it isn't too big a deal anyway if you have decent signal strength.

Ya, right. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

From a car audio site....MOTORHEADS talkin'...

FlyinMiata9,
A shorter antenna mast captures a smaller portion of a radio broadcast station's travelling radio wave. That results in reduced radio reception capability. The reduced radio reception capability may never be noticed if only listening to nearby radio broadcast stations in the city. 

There's no overall magic of one short antenna over another. There are some that include a signal amplifier. They can at times enhance more distant radio receptions, but usually degrade other radio reception situations, often those where there are multiple strong radio signals in the reception area.

The overall disadvantages of antenna amplifiers for car antennas tend to be far more predominant than advantages. There are some radio signal amplifiers for car antennas that automatically switch "off" when operated in a strong signal area. That can assist clearly listening to the nearby strong radio stations, but reduce the prospect of listening to any some distance away.

There's always a prospect of the antenna you installed being defective, or not installed properly well mounted to the car's fender for a good electrical radio reception ground plane. Check to make sure the in-line Motorola connector set is fully pushed-in inserted together. 

A simple way to test the antenna line and system is to tune in a weak AM radio station in the daytime and then grab hold of the antenna mast to detect stronger and louder reception of that weak AM radio station. Your conductive body mass adds some to the short antenna's reception capability. There may also be an initial "thump" sound as the car's radio makes an automatic adjustment of its radio reception sensitivity. If there's no dramatic change in weak AM radio reception, look for an open or shorted electrical problem. Best bet is a full length proper antenna.

This will get you under the G-door!

I know late to the game but the way this is going does it matter?  :crazy: 

ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck

3.4 out of 5 stars 423 customer reviews

| 14 answered questions

Price:$7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

In Stock.

New proprietary design that enhances performance with unique MICO Screen element.

Small and sleek so you can stick it anywhere in almost any vehicle

Ground independent

ZHOL is the Amazon registered brand,This product is not allowed without ZHOL

41aAglSWgDL.jpg

New!  The Rebco CH-100 multi-directional antenna with Pow-r-boost!! Less than 0.01 THD! Universal fit! Unbreakable! Weatherproof!  Doubles as a coat hanger! Listen to all yer favorite polkas or love songs for a fraction of the cost! Bring in yer favorite stations crystal clear, from as far away as Rangoon!  Only $9.99 plus S&H. BUT WAIT, call now and get two for........:tired:

hanger.jpg

47 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

This will get you under the G-door!

I know late to the game but the way this is going does it matter?  :crazy: 

ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck

3.4 out of 5 stars 423 customer reviews

| 14 answered questions

Price:$7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

In Stock.:lol:

New proprietary design that enhances performance with unique MICO Screen element.

Small and sleek so you can stick it anywhere in almost any vehicle

Ground independent

ZHOL is the Amazon registered brand,This product is not allowed without ZHOL

41aAglSWgDL.jpg

Ya, I think they already did!!!  :/

I'm not fighting with anyone.   Many ways to make antennas, and for receivers in cars wavelengths aren't all that important.   Class up your vehicle with a wire nut or a fox tail or whatever you like.