• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4th of July Picnic Pictures

Ok everyone.... now that the mid-week holiday is over, let's see some of them pictures! Doesn't matter if you smoked it, grilled, or even baked it!

Here are 8 racks that I did for friends and family. I used the traeger 3-2-1 method. For those of you not familiar, I strongly suggest doing a quick you tube search. It takes a while, but they come out perfect every time. For the initial rub, I apply a heavy coat of Famous Daves rib rub. I use Dr. Pepper though instead of apple juice and then pack brown sugar on when I wrap them for the two hour session.  Not nearly exotic as some of the secret recipes on here but is definitely fool proof and predictable..... every time!

Just getting ready for a 3 hr smoke

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.36fe58ef93a929cc39318f48bfcf232c.JPG

Done with the two hr Dr. Pepper bath... now time for a one hour finish

IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.942f1cafb02b9c47e8046d5c76518d3b.JPG

Hmmm, Treager has their own version of 3-2-1 ribs?  I use variations depending on whether I'm cooking loin back or belly ribs. 

I cooked up some double rib shops and a few sausage links for out meal this year.  The weather cooperated too much this year, not windy at all but the temp reached 98°.

mTCMKlS.jpg

19 hours ago, thirdeye said:

Hmmm, Treager has their own version of 3-2-1 ribs? 

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/pork/3-2-1-baby-back-ribs

Not really sure "who's" version it is, but it is the only version that I have - and actually now that I look at it, I really don't follow their recipe at all. Here is what I do....

1. Trim the tough skin from the bone side.... I use to skip this step because I thought it "shouldn't" matter. Turns out I just wrecked a lot of ribs.
  2. Apply mustard to both sides of your slab.... This is for your rub to stick to, not necessarily for flavor
  3. Liberally apply your rub. There are a lot of different store bought variations that are good and a lot of homemade recipes on the internet.
  4. I have found that I get better flavor if I let them sit for 8+ hours in the rub. When I do this I stack them all together and wrap with plastic wrap. Re apply a light dusting of rub when you put them on the smoker
  5. Set smoker to "smoke" setting. This results in temps between 140 and 170 depending on the time of year
  6. Smoke uncovered for 3 hrs... make sure the meat isn't touching
  7. After 3 hrs, pull the racks off and double wrap each individually. Pack a healthy layer of Brown sugar on top of the ribs. Add ~2 oz of Dr. Pepper to the foil packet and seal up tightly. Bump smoker up to 225
  8. After 2 hrs pull the foiled ribs from the smoker. The ribs are going to be quite tender at this point so be careful. You can eat them right after this step, or throw them on another hr un covered at 225 to firm up and dry out a bit. The last hr is also where you can add your favor sauce and let it carmelize

If you like to have ribs that aren't quite as "fall off the bone" pull an hr from the second step and add it to the 3rd.