• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air Fryer?

wife got me an air fryer for fathers day. Anyone have any tips or recipe suggestions.

I currently have some perch fillets thawing that I hope to cook up. I know this may take a little longer to cook but looking forward to not having to drown stuff in oil.

I got one last year to replace my deep fat fryer for wings. They work nice but don't expect it to be just like a deep fryer. 

The model I bought had an issue in that the basket got rusty. I called CS for the company and they sent a new basket that also rusted right away. I started to use aluminum foil to protect the food from the rust and the company was going to send me a new fryer but they had the same basket so I just decided to skip replacing it and write off as a loss. To replace that I bought one of those clear domed Nu Wave cookers which does essentially the same thing but it has more capacity for whole chickens etc.

As far as time- It takes about 15-17 minutes to cook a dozen or so wings from frozen to done which is actually less time than it takes to heat up the oil in a fryer which was usually and 10 to heat and 10-12 to cook. Not sure how fish etc compares.

I have a spray can of olive oil that I spray on the food that helps make it closer to oil cooking.

I have 2 of them. A large one and a smaller one. One at the lake and one here at home. They make excellent FF,tator tots, onion rings, mozz sticks, chicken,etc.

For fish.....the best breading for fish for us is the oven bake from Shore Lunch. 

4 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I like to drown my fish in oil :)

me to. fish just gotta be wet!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I have the Nu-wave too.  I like it, no oil.  just use the instructions for a guide and go for it.

mikey.............mcdonalds doesn't use them!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

11 hours ago, smurfy said:

me to. fish just gotta be wet!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

mikey.............mcdonalds doesn't use them!!!!!!!!:P:grin:

I leave places like that to you smurf!!!  I couldn't tell ya the last time I was in one of those places!!!

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

not wet if done right smurphy:):) 

I would be interested in the air fryer but would have to have a couple meals before buying one. 

OK smartypants:cry::crazy:...........let me explain..........the oil is wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

4 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I would be interested in the air fryer but would have to have a couple meals before buying one.

Me too, the Doc said to lay off the deep fry but I have a hard time wrapping my head around air fried fish and chicken? :(

Someone make eyeguy54 and I a dinner so we can compare. Before buying! :lol:

Well I cooked up some perch tonight for dinner. Squirt of lemon then dipped in egg and then coated some in bread crumbs and some in crushed tortilla chips. Did not add any oil.

Cooked at 350 for 15 mins. I turned it up to 400 for the last 2-3mins and it probably didn't need it.

turned out pretty good may take a little bit to get it dialed in but I was happy with results. Quick easy and painless. cooked it inside and it didn't  heat up or make kitchen warm and  best of all no smell.

IMG_1521.JPG

Tysons chicken tender, Top sirloin steak, pork chop, burgers seasoned to taste - crispy crowns, tutor tots, fries - beer batter shore lunch Walleye, Crappie all better than deep fryer, oven or gas grill. Just do potato first & keep hot in oven at 250. Even Spam is better than pan fryed but if your under 40 you may not have a clue about Spam.

12 hours ago, papadarv said:

Tysons chicken tender, Top sirloin steak, pork chop, burgers seasoned to taste - crispy crowns, tutor tots, fries - beer batter shore lunch Walleye, Crappie all better than deep fryer, oven or gas grill. Just do potato first & keep hot in oven at 250. Even Spam is better than pan fryed but if your under 40 you may not have a clue about Spam.

I just bought one for my wife and am looking forward to trying it. I just cant wrap my head around cooking fresh meat that isn't frozen with breading on it. I will have to try the fish with dry batter on it. Do you spritz it with oil or not? Going to be a learning experience!

1 hour ago, Rip_Some_Lip said:

I just bought one for my wife and am looking forward to trying it. I just cant wrap my head around cooking fresh meat that isn't frozen with breading on it. I will have to try the fish with dry batter on it. Do you spritz it with oil or not? Going to be a learning experience!

awe............a Christmas present for the wife................so you can use it!!!!:D I see!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!:grin:

2 hours ago, Rip_Some_Lip said:

Yes, we buy the spray cans of olive oil,canola or whatever. I personally haven't tried fish but with breaded chicken I'm not a big fan. It works great when I make wings and non battered chicken. Just my personal experience.

I have had 2 of these for a year or so. They work great for fries, tator tots, onion rings, shrimp,chicken strips.and basically anything breaded when you buy it. And they don't need any oil. Only OK if you bread them yourself. For those I spray Pam on them. The only thing is breaded fish fillets are only so so. I still prefer deep frying them. Fish is the only thing I still deep fry. I indulge my self there. Just not as good as deep frying. Pretty much everything else I air fry.

Edited by KEN W

Ended up making some non-breaded steak cubes (aka "Chislic" here in SoDak) that turned out friggin awesome. I took a sirloin tip roast, trimmed it up, and cut it into 1" cubes. I then vacuum sealed them for 6 hrs in a little olive oil, worchester, garlic, and coarse black pepper. I sprinkled on a little lawry's before putting them in. I did two batches... one batch "medium well" for the wife and kids, and one batch medium rare for me. Medium well took 10 min, Medium rare was 6. Turned out awesome! Even the Medium well was still tender and juicy.

10 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Ended up making some non-breaded steak cubes (aka "Chislic" here in SoDak) that turned out friggin awesome. I took a sirloin tip roast, trimmed it up, and cut it into 1" cubes. I then vacuum sealed them for 6 hrs in a little olive oil, worchester, garlic, and coarse black pepper. I sprinkled on a little lawry's before putting them in. I did two batches... one batch "medium well" for the wife and kids, and one batch medium rare for me. Medium well took 10 min, Medium rare was 6. Turned out awesome! Even the Medium well was still tender and juicy.

You could have just boiled them in the bag like Del does.....:D