• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ranger 6x6 info?

BoxMN

A stone mason Buddy is looking at a 6x6 for work, for stone work in new home construction area with lots of dirt/mud/etc. Hauls lots of stone mainly, but also just about anything. Uses a golf cart now (works awesome, actually!) but it won't cut it on the terrain of the new project. The homes are BIG (>25k sq ft.....) so the golf cart/utv will save time and laborers backs, and pay for itself. Looked at the Gator as well, but on paper it just doesn't stack up to the Ranger. He is thinking of putting a custom bed on it.

Just wondering if anybody has experience with the 6x6 800, and know of any particular issues this unit or the engine have. Good thing is it just may double as a hunting tool for us during duck season ;)

Thanks for any info, and also for any recommendations on good dealers in the metro area, or even just outside of metro. Tousley is very near to us, but I have only bought parts from them, not bikes.

Edited by BoxMN

I have had several Polaris models. Not the 6x6 but the platforms are all similar. The 800 is a decent engine for sure and it will ride nice.

That being said- if I were buying a sxs for working like that I would look long and hard at a Honda. They have always used better components than Polaris and have a much lower failure rate in my experience. Polaris to me always have issues with poorly designed or underbuilt components. 

Can Am would be a strong choice as well. 

Don't overlook the Kawasaki Mule 4010.  We've had a couple of them around the compound for more than ten years (  the 3010) and they are rough, tough dependable rigs. Good sized box that will dump, lots of crawl when in low gear locked differential. We put a roof on one and a windshield and it will run around in the winter through reasonable conditions. Seldom a problem and even then nothing serious.

Worth a look.

The first quad I ever owned was a Kawasaki bayou 220 2 wd. That thing sat in a corn crib year round and the one year it got to something like -40f (1994?) I went out all bundled up and the thing popped right off. Kawasaki has awesome motors ime.