• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gm 3.8 V6 Engines

Might be looking at getting a new/old(2000 yr and up) used car in the future here.The 3.8's are suppose to be great engines, yet I hear about the Gen II series having the upper intake gasket and Plenum issues? Is this a big deal or was it only on certain years. I see starting around 2004/2005 they made a Gen III that had an Aluminum upper Intake Plenum instead of the Plastic one that the Gen II had. Is the Gen III better or are they about the same, once the gasket issue is fixed. The cars I am looking at with this Engine are: Regals, Grand Prix's and Lacrosses.  Thanks for the feedback.

The "gasket" is not the problem. The EGR has a tube that runs into the plastic intake right behind the throttle body. Over time the heat from the EGR degrades the plastic of the upper intake manifold. The plastic eventually gives way and the cooling port that surrounds the EGR tube fills the engine with coolant essentially hydrolocking it. Most times a new intake plenum, and a set of spark plugs along with a new starter is all that is needed to make the repair after all the coolant is removed from one or more cylinders. I have not had one come into the shop with this problem in wuite a few years mostly because they have all been replaced with the updated plenum and EGR port.