• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My son bought himself a "new" truck

My son (17) and some of his buddies from school are into the older trucks. My boy found this one for sale and had to buy it. It's a 1990 Ford F-150 2x4 with the 300 inline 6 motor. It has 120,000 original miles.

So far he has put on a new exhaust, a new transmission cooling line and hung up fuzzy dice :).  I put in new lock cylinders since it didn't come with a door key and this morning I fixed both power window motors.

He also has a 2004 Chrysler Sebring that's in great shape but he is much more proud of this. 

brandon truck.jpg

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

sweet looks to be in pretty good shape!!!!!!

chick magnet?????????????????:lol:

If he needed a chick magnet he would just take ME with him! ;)

3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Plus+ 1  My first ever truck, that motor goes for Eternity! :lol:

4 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Have had several Fords with that nifty little six.  They last forever, if they are not abused.

So you can hope!

I was happy to see that the truck had that motor. I remember it being a good one.

Edited by Big Dave2

10 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I was happy to see that the truck had that motor. I remember it being a good one.

I'm thinking he isn't going to a nursing home!!;:grin::P

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

If it has the 5 speed you won't have to worry about speeding tickets. I had a 92 with the 4.9/5 speed and if there was a headwind you couldn't get to highway speeds in 5th. My FIL had one with the 4 speed and that may have been a little better. Definitely a great truck for a kid who is on their parents insurance. 

10 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Is it bucket seats?  He may need a topper with shades and foam pad.  Um, camping of course!  ;)

5 minutes ago, smurfy said:

oh.....oh.......oh i remember them days!!!!!!!! for camping!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:;)

I'm not too worried about all that. He'd have to TALK to a girl first. :)

this entire thread immediately made me think of the song Pickup Man by Joe Diffie lol

When I turned sixteen, I saved a few hundred bucks
My first car was a pickup truck
I was cruising the town and the first girl I seen
Was Bobbie Jo Gentry, the homecoming queen
She flagged me down and climbed up in the cab
And said, "I never knew you were a pickup man"

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill
And I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe De Ville
I got an eight-foot bed that never has to be made
You know, if it weren't for trucks we wouldn't have tailgates
I met all my wives in traffic jams
There's just something women like about a pickup man

4 hours ago, rundrave said:

this entire thread immediately made me think of the song Pickup Man by Joe Diffie lol

Ha! His grandpa brought that song up already and I've been singing it to him all week!

That 300 six is probably the most bullet-proof engine Ford ever produced, or ever will. Gobs of low end torque, but don't expect it to be a high-winder like a V8, cuz it won't. It's power is in the low end. Plus, it's a piece of cake to work on. Treat it well, and it'll outlast the truck.

Okay, stand by for a true story.  Bought a truck for my brother with the 300 six in it. He ran it until the body starting falling apart. I used it a few times and then bought my own, the first of several since I had other serious boon docking rigs (Landrover etc) but when he was done with his truck, he gave it go a guy who put it up on blocks and ran a big saw off the rear end and last we saw of that truck it was cutting logs in Alaska.  Still running, not much body left. Had another in MT for a while and last time I saw it it was running across the wide open spaces with a big Gem top on it.

9 hours ago, RebelSS said:

That 300 six is probably the most bullet-proof engine Ford ever produced, or ever will. Gobs of low end torque, but don't expect it to be a high-winder like a V8, cuz it won't. It's power is in the low end. Plus, it's a piece of cake to work on. Treat it well, and it'll outlast the truck.

Bulletproof due to low output and simple design of the I6. Actually the 4.0 I6 from Jeep had better HP and nearly the torque while being as or even more reliable. 

4.9- 150HP and 260 Lb/ft of torque. 4.0- 190 HP and 235 Lb/ft of torque.

What made the 4.9 seem like it had lots of torque was the low gearing in the 4 speed transmission. Coupled with that it certainly did a good job of pulling at low speeds but when combined with the mazda sourced 5 speed the I6 was really underpowered which in BD2's case is a good thing lol.