• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern patties

When I first joined this forum one of the first recipes I tried was called Walleye Cakes Cheffrey, and still use a version of it.  Here is an OLD THREAD that has several recipes including the walleye cakes and my recipe for salmon cakes.  Also has some photos that follow the prep and cooking.  

1 hour ago, otterman91105 said:

Thanks was going to try some different recipes tommorow. I have never tried this before. Its worth a try.

The secret is in the mixture itself and the forming of the patties.  Since the fish is already cooked the pan frying of the patties is pretty easy and quick.  I always make 6 or 8 extra, and after forming I'll let them firm up in the freezer then vacuum seal them in packs of two. I thaw them in the fridge and then fry them, it's hard to tell them from fresh made and you can have dinner ready in less than 20 minutes.  You might be able to go ahead and fry the extra ones, then vacuum seal but I've never tried that.

The Cheffrey recipe that thirdeye talks about is a good one.  it's a little work but it turns out great - cooking the fillets before hand allows for easy flaking of the fish and makes for a shorter cooking time.  They're VERY filling, like thirdeye says, can only eat about 2 at a time.  i like to whip-up a little chipotle ranch-type dipping sauce for these as well.

i've made the Walleye Cakes with Blue Cheese Aioli recipe in the "old thread" above for years

its from an old Walleye Insider and the recipe was from the Nisswa Grill in Nisswa, Minn

one of our favorite change of pace fish recipes

gotta cook the fish first and i dont see why you couldnt substitute pike for walleye

4 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

The Cheffrey recipe that thirdeye talks about is a good one.  it's a little work but it turns out great - cooking the fillets before hand allows for easy flaking of the fish and makes for a shorter cooking time.  They're VERY filling, like thirdeye says, can only eat about 2 at a time.  i like to whip-up a little chipotle ranch-type dipping sauce for these as well.

man that sounds good!!!!!! that dippin sauce on fish patties!!!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

I tried these with northern last weekend they were ok but i bet they would be good with walleye.

I've only tried them with Northern, but honestly, I'm not sure I could taste the difference if I didn't make them myself.  All psychological, IMO - this will likely start an off-topic discussion BUT I participated in an 8 person taste test between Walleye, Northern and Bass (yes, we cut-up a medium sized bucket-mouth).  I was the only one to name all three fish correctly and it was only due to the fact that my friend who was in-charge of the test accidentally missed a y-bone so I just had to guess in-between walleye and bass and I guessed correctly.  A couple of the guys also had a y-bone and got their guess between 'eye and bass wrong!!!  Flaky white fish is flaky white fish - especially when you bust it all up, mix it with bread crumbs, mayo and whatever else.  Again, just my opinion.