• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor bogs when trimmed down

titelines

I have a 1991 Suzuki 175 2-stroke.  Still runs great (if not a little cold from time to time), but I've noticed that when I trim it all the way down it tends to bog and sputter at idle. It usually won't idle for long in this position before quitting on me.  It's fine with throttle, and it's okay at idle when trimmed up a bit, but there's something about being trimmed down it doesn't like.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

15 hours ago, titelines said:

I have a 1991 Suzuki 175 2-stroke.  Still runs great (if not a little cold from time to time), but I've noticed that when I trim it all the way down it tends to bog and sputter at idle. It usually won't idle for long in this position before quitting on me.  It's fine with throttle, and it's okay at idle when trimmed up a bit, but there's something about being trimmed down it doesn't like.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Idle jets are probably gunked up with oxidized fuel from sitting.  I would run it for awhile to see if it comes out of it on its own.  If not, pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning.  You will probably need carb gaskets or maybe a carb kit when you do this.

Thanks guys - that gives me a starting point.  It's gonna be on the water a lot this week, so I'll see if I can run it out of it.  If not, I'll give it a good cleaning afterwards.  I've used non-oxy the past few years hoping to eliminate the gunking, but I'll check these other areas.

Thanks again!