• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40HP merc steering issue

jwmiller33

A buddy of mine just got an early 1980s 16 ft Lund counsel boat with a late 70s/early 80s 40 hp Merc that won’t move/steer. The boat and motor seem to be in really good condition for how old it is but the steering seems to be locked up. It wont budge if you move the steering wheel and it also has no play if you try to assist with moving it by hand. I only had 5 min to look at it last night but I did notice there were 2 grease zerks on the steering unit and another one near the back side of the transom. My first thought was to grease up the zerks real good and see if that loosens it up. However, if the grease doesn’t do anything, I am kind of stumped what the problem would be. My experience is only with tillers so these older steering units are foreign to me. Before having to take it into a shop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or troubleshoot? I’m guessing the steering cable might be shot but I don’t know how to diagnose this without tearing it all apart. Any help would be much appreciated. Attached are a couple pics.

merc3.jpg

merc2.jpg

merc1.jpg

Just replaced a steering cable on and 82 50hp mercury with a buddy.  Here is what i would do, undo the bolt from the swing arm (middle picture), unscrew the cable from the tilt tube (bottom picture)  see if you can pull the cable all the way through the tilt tube, if it is locked up and you cannot pull it through then the steering cable tube is locked up inside that tilt tube which is the hinge point for the motor.  Those grease zerks will only lube up the outer area of that threaded tube not the inside where that cable runs through it and at this point probably won't help. you can tap on the end of the steering cable middle picture once you have disconnected everything to see if it will move and you can get it out. if if does come out i would make sure to clean that inner tube to remove all rust and chunks and hook back up to see if cable is fine. This is where i would start, the one i just help with the steering cable tube was locked up to the tilt tube and could not get loose so had to beat the heck out of it to remove it and had to replace the whole cable.  Look up on you tube there are lots of videos on this. i have attached a link to one regarding what i am talking about.

In addition to cleaning the tilt tube and steering rod like it does in the video you might have to use penetrating oil to free up the cable.   Lift up the cable and let the fluid run into the cable by gravity.

You might have to work it back and forth cleaning the rust off as you gain movement. Also check the steering rack. That are could be corroded or rusted.

Thanks for the help guys. Lots of great input. Over the weekend, my buddy tried greasing it up and used a rubber mallet to tap on the port side steering arm to try and loosen it up and didn't get it to budge at all. He ended up going to RJs are ordering a new steering cable. However, the only cable they could order was 6 inches longer than the old one so theres a little concern it will be tough to fit it in there with how rigid that cable is. Do you guys have any advice for working the new, longer cable into place?

Whether your trying to free up the steering or replace it,  you have to pull the steering cable out of the tilt tube.  Remove the arm from the end of the rod, then back out the big shiny nut on the bottom picture.  If that is where the steering is froze up then once out you can clean it and reuse it.   You'll probably need someone pulling on the cable and someone taping on the end of the rod with a wooden mallet.