• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? about low water in ponds

I plan on doing some fishing in stock ponds this winter. I am curious on what impact the drought has on the fish. I have seen some stock dams that look pretty low and I know they have fish in them. Are they gonna die out this winter?

Foster, every body water is a little different and there are a lot of variables involved with increases/decreases in Dissolved Oxygen (DO) levels (which typically causes most winter kills). If the ponds are smaller and the water levels significantly lower the chances of winter kills greatly increase. Once again lots of variables involved. Some species of fish can survive relatively low levels of DO and others will die pretty easily. Fish populations, water quality, food availability, water depth, duration of ice cover, snow depth/cover and vegetation growth are just some of the things that can affect the DO levels and the chances of suffering winter kills. Hope this helps a little? Good Luck!